How Much Power Should an LED Emit to Be Visible from 5 Meters?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
prehisto
Messages
111
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In ideal conditions human eye can feel something if 100 photons with wavelengh of 5500A fall directly tu human eye in one seconds time.LED(lambda=5500A) is placed 5m away from human eye.


Homework Equations



Calculate the power of LED to achieve that the human eye can see it?

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
I even don't know where to start here.
Some kind of idea would be helpfull.
 
I know that much
E=hv and v=c/lambda so E=hc/lambda
 
You also need to know how many photons miss or hit the pupil. Perhaps they all bit because of lenses. Or not.
 
Ok I know the energy which is needed to feel something.
I assume that all hit the pupil and that diameter of an eye is d=15mm.
So i can calculate the solid angle.

But still how can I calculate power of LED ?
 
I think you can assume that the LED radiates in all directions. You have a particular solid angle where particular energy must be radiated to be be detectable. What else do you need?