1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photons emitted from a light bulb problem

1. Sep 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 100 W incandescent light bulb converts approximately 2.5% of the electrical energy supplied to it into visible light. Assume that the average wavelength of the emitted light is λ = 530 nm, and that the light is radiated uniformily in all directions. How many photons per second, N, would enter an aperture of area A = 3 cm2 located a distance D = 6 m from the light bulb?

2. Relevant equations

Energy of photon = h x c / lambda (wavelength)
    Power = change in energy / change in time
    Surface area of sphere = 4πr

3. The attempt at a solution

I basically used the formula above to calculate the energy of the photons being emitted:

E = 1240 eV nm / 530 nm = 2.3396 eVm

The total power emitted by the light bulb should be 2.5% of what is put in - 2.5 watts. I know that if I have a sphere of radius 6m, the surface should "pick up" all of the power emitted. Therefore, I can set up a ratio of W/m2 : 2.5 / (4π x 6) W/m2 (not sure if this is a valid reasoning, because the aperture is not necessarily curved). Since the element(aperture) I am looking at is 3 cm2 :

Power through element = 2.5 / (4π x 6) x 0.0003m2 = 9.947183943 x 10-6 W

This power should be equal to the number of photons per second (n) multiplied by the energy of one photon, simply because both quantities represent the energy per second.

9.947183943 x 10-6 W = n x (2.3396 eV x 1.602 x 10-19 J / eV)

n = 2.653970093 x 1013 photons per second

When I enter this answer (the homework is online), it is wrong. I'm pretty sure the problem lies with how I found the power through the aperture; I'm not sure what is wrong.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The fraction of light that enters the aperture is the area of the hole 3cm^2/the area of the sphere (2*pi*600*600) be careful to tuse the same units for radius and area.
  4. Sep 14, 2008 #3
    Surface area of a sphere is 4*Pi*r^2 not 4*Pi*r. I am in the same physics class at UIUC as you and i was able to get the correct solution with this method.
  5. Sep 15, 2008 #4
    Thanks, I got the right answer using 4 pi r^2. I guess I should review my geometry...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?