How much pressure does water have to be in for it to phase change

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
ForumFire
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
I was wondering if it was possible to put water in a tube, and either add air pressure or put it in a vacuum and changee it's phase change? I herd at wikipediea that you can change the state of matter somthing is in by either changing the tempature or pressure that it's in.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you take room temperature water and put it in a vacuum, it'll boil, yes. It won't solidify without extrordinarily high pressure, though. Check the phase diagram: http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/images/phase.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You need to study a http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/phase.html" for water. This shows you pressure temperature combinations and the resulting phase.

Russ types faster then I do! beat by 1 minute. :biggrin:
 
Last edited by a moderator: