How much steel is needed to suspend a balloon at 50 ft below sea level?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Don654321
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
Don654321
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I need some help with a calculation. I am trying to calculate how much steel in weight would be needed to suspend a ball(essentially a balloon) 12in in diameter full of air at 50 ft below sea level, in sea water. I am not the best at physics and I think I have an idea but wanted a good opinion. Does not have to be exact just a good estimation.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

The best way to learn is to learn by doing. So take a shot. Some hints to get you started: do you know the equation for buoyancy? Density of water and steel?
 
seawater=1025 kgm3 Steel = 7850 kgm3 and I am not exactly sure which formula to use?