How raked wingtips reduce induced drag?

• Thread starter Change in pressure
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drag Induced
In summary, the conversation discussed the purpose of winglets and raked wingtips in reducing induced drag. While winglets are well understood, there was uncertainty about how raked wingtips achieve this goal. Through further research, it was found that raked wingtips have more sweep and create an aerodynamic washout, reducing wingtip vortices and increasing the effective wing aspect ratio. This ultimately decreases lift-induced drag and can be more efficient than simply increasing wing span.
Change in pressure
Hi all,

I understand that both winglets and raked wingtips are for the same function (from what I have read) - to reduced the amount of induced drag.

I understand the principles behind winglets, however I am uncertain how raked wingtips actually achieve this? Could anyone please explain the aerodynamics behind it.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The term raked wingtips was unfamiliar to me, so I looked it up. These images may help others provide an answer.

Raked wingtips
1024px-Delta_Air_Lines_767-400ER_%40LHR.jpg

Winglets
winglets.jpg

Attachments

• 1024px-Delta_Air_Lines_767-400ER_%40LHR.jpg
    1024px-Delta_Air_Lines_767-400ER_%40LHR.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,027
  • winglets.jpg
    winglets.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,360
Likes Klystron
Raked wingtips have more sweep compared to the rest of the wing.
But how they reduce induce drag?
I can not find explanantion...boeing dreamliner
boeing-787-10-pas-12.jpg

albatros
journal.pone.0004016.png

Attachments

• boeing-787-10-pas-12.jpg
    boeing-787-10-pas-12.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,164
  • journal.pone.0004016.png
    journal.pone.0004016.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 643
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/aerodynamics/q0148.shtml
Says that they create an aerodynamic washout.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/dynamics/q0055.shtml
First we will cover wing twist, of which there are two kinds, geometric twist and aerodynamic twist. A technical definition of geometric twist would go something like this: "an actual change in the airfoil angle of incidence, usually measured with respect to the root airfoil." (Raymer, Aircraft Design) In other words, if you were to look at a wing from the side, the airfoil (cross section) of the wing would rotate as you moved away from the aircraft fuselage. In most aircraft, the airfoil twists down as we move along the wing further from the fuselage. This is referred to as "washout."
twist.jpg

Attachments

• twist.jpg
    twist.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 720
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingtip_device#Raked_wingtip said:
[...] they increase the effective wing aspect ratio and diminish wingtip vortices, decreasing lift-induced drag. [...] While an increase in span would be more effective than a same-length winglet, its bending moment is greater. A 3 ft (91 cm) winglet gives the performance gain of a 2 ft (61 cm) span increase but has the bending force of a 1 ft (30 cm) span increase.
I would say that they basically reduce the effect of a sharp parallel edge at the tip where the air can 'escape' and create vortices.

Just by comparing the second illustration in Post #2 with the one in Post #4, I would say that wingtip vortices start with an upward motion of the air escaping from beneath the wing, and the downward angle at the tip of the wing opposes this motion, impeding the formation of the vortex.

Likes russ_watters

1. How do raked wingtips reduce induced drag?

Raked wingtips reduce induced drag by decreasing the strength of vortices that are created at the wingtips. These vortices are a result of the difference in air pressure between the top and bottom of the wing, and they contribute to the creation of induced drag. By redirecting the airflow at the wingtips, raked wingtips reduce the strength of these vortices and therefore decrease induced drag.

2. What is induced drag?

Induced drag is a type of aerodynamic drag that is created by the generation of lift on an aircraft's wings. It is caused by the difference in air pressure between the top and bottom of the wing, which creates vortices at the wingtips. Induced drag is a major factor in an aircraft's overall drag and can greatly affect its performance.

3. How do raked wingtips differ from traditional wingtips?

Raked wingtips differ from traditional wingtips in their shape and angle. Traditional wingtips are typically straight and perpendicular to the wing, while raked wingtips are angled upwards and curved. This shape allows for the redirection of airflow and reduction of induced drag.

4. Do all aircraft use raked wingtips?

No, not all aircraft use raked wingtips. Raked wingtips are most commonly found on commercial airliners and high-performance aircraft. Smaller aircraft and general aviation planes may not have raked wingtips, as they may not require the same level of efficiency and performance.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using raked wingtips?

While raked wingtips can greatly reduce induced drag and improve an aircraft's performance, they do have some drawbacks. They can add weight and complexity to the wing design, and may also increase the cost of production. Additionally, raked wingtips may not be as effective at reducing induced drag at lower speeds, so they may not be as beneficial for slower aircraft.