How Should Relative Permittivity Be Applied in Electric Field Calculations?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Jmphysics
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I've been given a question where I have to find the electric field strength at a point between two charges. Now I understand the mathematics but the question I'm trying to solve says two point charges of value 2C and 3C are position within a medium of relative permittivity 5.5.

My question is when i put my values into the electric field strength equation should this value 5.5 be multiply by the permittivity of free space or be used differently.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I have looked on the internet for the formula but sometimes its written differently and I just want to be one hundred percent confident I'm using this value correctly since I keep finding conflicting information.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is strange that it's worded like that, but my guess is that you multiply the permittivity of free space by 5.5
 
Hi Jmphysics.
2d4066413017023.gif


εo and εr always go around together like a married couple; where you find one it needs the other right alongside.

Some formulae emphasise this by explicitly showing their product εoεr, other formulae denote this product concisely as just ε