How Strong Does a Fishing Line Need to Be to Stop a Drifting Salmon?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kawasaki268F
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Line Strenght
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Kawasaki268F
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The tension at which a fishing line snaps is commonly called the line's “strength.” What minimum strength is needed for a line that is to stop a salmon of weight 78 N in 13 cm if the fish is initially drifting horizontally at 3.1 m/s? Assume a constant deceleration.


Homework Equations


I need to use constant acceleration equations...so: v=V0+at, x-x0=v0t+(1/2)at^2...there are 3 other equations for constant acceleration but I don't think i have learned them yet.

The Attempt at a Solution


I am pretty stuck on this one as I have no idea which equation to use and what to do after that to find the solution
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I got it with the help of a friend using Vf^2=V0^2+2a(x-x0) and F=ma