How Strong Does an Electromagnet Need to Be to Lift a 10 kg Weight?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Hansprunner
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electromagnetic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Hansprunner
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello all,
I am not at all good at physics or have studied it but have been asked to build something rather peculiar.

I need to have an electromagnet which will have enough strength when activated to bring a 10 kg steel weight from above it down to meet the magnet. It would be positioned 150cm meter below the 10kg weight which is on a pivot with an armature length of 100 cm.

How can I figure out what size magnet and how many coils of copper I would need around what diameter and how many volts I need?

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is very tricky. You can calculate the magnetic field and the force required fairly easily, but to calculate the relationship between them is complicated, and will depend a lot on the geometry and the magnetic characteristics of the steel, and probably the core as well.

I'd recommend trial and error or a numerical approach.