How: Thermally conductive yet electrically resistive.

• Thread starter forrealfyziks
  • Start date
In summary, during a materials lab, the group examined various properties of materials. One material, alumina, was found to be both thermally conductive and electrically resistive. This is because of the way bonds vibrate in crystals, making them good conductors, and the presence of free electrons in conducting metals, making them good resistors. Diamond has the best ratio of thermal conduction to electrical resistance.
forrealfyziks
Today I had a materials lab where we looked through various properties of materials. One of the materials we had was alumina, and we had to describe how it was both thermally conductive and electrically resistive. I couldn't figure out the answer on my own. Could anyone describe the reasoning behind this?

Note: This isn't for homework or a class I'm just curious. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thermal conduction is by bonds vibrating - so most crystals with stiff bonds are good conductors.
Electrical conduction is by free electrons, so good resistors are those with strongly held electrons - again crystals are good.

Diamond is the best ratio of thermal conduction to electrical resistance.

I don’t know if it’s still relevant, but some of the thermal conduction is also made by the free valence electrons in conducting metals, that’s why a good electrical conductor is in general also a good thermal conductor =)

1. How can a material be both thermally conductive and electrically resistive?

This is possible because thermal conductivity and electrical conductivity are two distinct properties of a material. A material can have high thermal conductivity, meaning it can transfer heat easily, but low electrical conductivity, meaning it resists the flow of electricity.

2. What are some examples of materials that are both thermally conductive and electrically resistive?

Ceramics, glass, and some polymers are examples of materials that possess both high thermal conductivity and low electrical conductivity. They are commonly used as insulating materials in electrical and electronic applications.

3. How is thermal conductivity measured in a material?

Thermal conductivity is typically measured by applying a temperature gradient across the material and measuring the rate of heat transfer. The unit of measurement is watts per meter-kelvin (W/mK).

4. What factors affect the thermal conductivity of a material?

The thermal conductivity of a material is affected by several factors, including temperature, density, moisture content, and the presence of impurities or defects. Generally, materials with higher density and fewer impurities have higher thermal conductivity.

5. Can a material be both thermally insulating and electrically conductive?

Yes, there are materials that possess low thermal conductivity, meaning they resist heat transfer, but high electrical conductivity, meaning they allow electricity to flow easily. Examples include metals and some carbon-based materials, such as graphite.