1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to abstractly prove a Laplace transform identity?

1. Apr 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Suppose that ##F(s) = L[f(t)]## exists for ##s > a ≥ 0##.
    (a) Show that if c is a positive constant, then
    ##L[f(ct)]=\frac{1}{c}F(\frac{s}{c})##

2. Relevant equations
    ##L[f(t)]=\int_0^\infty f(t)e^{-st}dt##

3. The attempt at a solution
    ##L[f(ct)]=\int_0^\infty f(ct)e^{-st}dt##

D: ##e^{-st}## I: ##f(ct)##
    D: ##-e^{-st}## I: ##\frac{1}{c}F(ct)##
    I: ##F(ct)##

##L[f(ct)]=\int_0^\infty f(ct)e^{-st}dt=(\frac{1}{c}e^{-st}F(ct))+\frac{1}{c}\int_0^\infty e^{-st}F(ct)dt##

D: ##F(ct)## I: ##e^{-st}##
    D: ##cf(ct)## I: ##-\frac{1}{s}e^{-st}##

##L[f(ct)]=\int_0^\infty f(t)e^{-st}dt=(\frac{1}{c}e^{-st}F(t))+\frac{1}{c}(-\frac{1}{s}e^{-st}F(ct))+\frac{c}{s}\int_0^\infty e^{-st}f(ct)dt##
    ##\frac{s-c}{s}\int_0^\infty f(ct)e^{-st}dt=(\frac{1}{c}e^{-st}F(ct))+(-\frac{1}{cs}e^{-st}F(ct))##
    ##L[f(ct)]=\frac{s}{s-c}(\frac{1}{c}(e^{-st}F(ct)-\frac{1}{s}e^{-st}F(ct))=\frac{s}{s-c}(e^{-st}F(ct))(\frac{1}{c}-\frac{1}{s})##
    ##L[f(ct)]=\frac{s}{s-c}(e^{-st}F(ct))(\frac{s}{cs}-\frac{c}{cs})=\frac{s}{c}e^{-st}F(ct)##

Can anyone tell me what it is I'm doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try ∫0f(ct)e-stdt = ∫0f(ct)e-s/c⋅ctdt = 1/c∫0f(h)e-s/c⋅hdh, where h=ct.

Note: If c is negative, you have to take into account the change of limits of the integral. Since it was stated that c>0, that is not a concern here.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  4. Apr 8, 2017 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

This is a straightforward consequence of integration by substitution. First, to avoid confusion, define [itex]g(t) = f(ct)[/itex]. Then [tex]L[g(t)] = G(s) = \int_0^\infty g(t)e^{-st}\,dt = \int_0^\infty f(ct)e^{-st}\,dt.[/tex] Now set [itex]ct = u[/itex] and compare to [tex]
    F(p) = \int_0^\infty f(u)e^{-pu}\,du.[/tex]

5. Apr 11, 2017 #4
    Thanks for the help, everyone. I couldn't have finished the homework without it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted