How to Accurately Measure Vertical Distance in Projectile Experiments?

• Thread starter asha
  • Start date
In summary, the task is to investigate the relationship between the range of a projectile and the distance it is released from a curved ramp. The experimenter is uncertain about how to accurately measure the vertical distance and where to measure from - the center or the peak of the ball. The suggestion is to apply the conservation of total energy and measure the radius of the circular part of the ramp, as well as the height from which the object is released. The use of the I tensor for rotational inertia may also be considered, but would make the experiment more complex.
asha

Homework Statement

I have to investigate the relationship between the range of the projectile by the distance the ball is released from the curved ramp. I want to measure the the vertical distance the ball is released when on the curved ramp which is placed on a table.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to measure the vertical distance by placing a ruler next to where the curved ramp is clamped but i find it hard to measure the distance the ball is from the ball accurately. What can i do inorder to accurately measure the vertical distance?

I'm also unsure if i should measure from the centre of the ball or the peak of the ball when measuring the vertical distance. Where shall i measure from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello ?

marlon

edit : assume the ball to be a point particle (approximation) you must apply conservation of total energy. What you need to know is the radius of the circular part of the ramp. The height from which you release the object on that ramp can be measured as well as the range.

If you want to bring in the I tensor (ie rotational inertia), then things get slightly more complicated.

Last edited:

I would suggest using a measuring tool such as a protractor or a measuring tape to accurately measure the vertical distance on the curved ramp. This will provide more precise measurements compared to using a ruler. Additionally, it may also be helpful to use a level to ensure that the curved ramp is at a consistent angle throughout the experiment.

In terms of where to measure from, it would be best to measure from the center of the ball. This will provide a more accurate representation of the starting point of the projectile. Measuring from the peak of the ball may introduce some error as the ball may not be perfectly spherical.

Overall, using precise measuring tools and measuring from the center of the ball will help to ensure more accurate results in your investigation of the relationship between the range of the projectile and the distance it is released from the curved ramp.

Related to How to Accurately Measure Vertical Distance in Projectile Experiments?

1. What is a projectile in physics?

A projectile in physics is any object that is launched or thrown into the air and is subject to the force of gravity. It follows a curved path called a trajectory and is affected by factors such as initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance.

2. How does the initial velocity affect the motion of a projectile?

The initial velocity, or the speed and direction at which a projectile is launched, directly affects the horizontal and vertical components of its motion. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer horizontal displacement and a higher maximum height reached.

3. What is the equation for calculating the range of a projectile?

The equation for calculating the range of a projectile is R = v02sin2θ/g, where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the motion of a projectile by slowing it down and changing its trajectory. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, causing it to lose speed and change its path.

5. What is the significance of the apex of a projectile's trajectory?

The apex, or the highest point in a projectile's trajectory, is significant because it marks the transition between the upward and downward motion of the object. At this point, the vertical component of the projectile's velocity is zero and it is only affected by the force of gravity.