How to add capacitance in between two points end points of spiral coil?

In summary, the conversation is about adding capacitance to a spiral coil for RFID tag design. The speaker is seeking help on how to join two ends of the coil with capacitance in between, and has already calculated the needed capacitance value for resonance at a specific frequency. The response suggests using calculus or simulation software to determine the appropriate capacitance, or empirically adding and measuring it with instruments. Overall, the issue at hand is a distributed impedance problem.
Jeetkumar
Hi All,

I am at present working on coil design for RFID tag, i want to know how you add capacitance in spiral coil i.e. how you join two ends in spiral structure with capacitance in between, i have already calculated capacitance value needed to resonant at particular frequency.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• spiral coil.jpg
    spiral coil.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 430
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well every pair of points on such an inductor already has capacitance and when you add more you induces more parasites. Generally you are going to have to get out the calculus and/or FEA simulation software like Ansys to figure it out OR empirically add capacitance and measuring it with instruments. It's an distributed impedance problem

1. How do I calculate the capacitance between two end points of a spiral coil?

The capacitance between two points of a spiral coil can be calculated using the formula C = (4 x pi x epsilon x n x R) / l, where C is the capacitance, epsilon is the permittivity of the material between the coil layers, n is the number of turns in the coil, R is the radius of the coil, and l is the length of the coil.

2. Can I add capacitance to a spiral coil without changing its physical dimensions?

Yes, you can add capacitance to a spiral coil without changing its physical dimensions by adding a parallel capacitor in series with the coil. This will increase the overall capacitance of the circuit without altering the coil's structure.

3. What factors affect the capacitance between two points of a spiral coil?

The capacitance between two points of a spiral coil can be affected by the distance between the points, the number of turns in the coil, the radius of the coil, and the permittivity of the material between the coil layers. The type of material used for the coil and the surrounding environment can also impact the capacitance.

4. How does changing the distance between two points of a spiral coil affect its capacitance?

Increasing the distance between two points of a spiral coil will decrease its capacitance, while decreasing the distance will increase its capacitance. This is because the electric field between the points decreases as the distance increases, resulting in a smaller capacitance value.

5. What is the purpose of adding capacitance between two points of a spiral coil?

The main purpose of adding capacitance between two points of a spiral coil is to increase the overall capacitance of the circuit. This can be useful in electronic devices where a specific capacitance value is required for proper functioning. Additionally, adding capacitance can help improve the efficiency and stability of the coil's operation.