Self capacitance of a multi layer coil

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the self capacitance of a multi layer coil. The person is looking for an online calculator or software to help with this calculation. The concept of self-capacitance is defined and it is noted that it is more difficult to determine than self-inductance. Suggestions for finding information on calculating self-capacitance are given, including searching for RF coil winding techniques. One person also mentions a book, "Electronic Transformers and Circuits," which has information on calculating the distributed capacitance of a transformer coil.
hobbs125
Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out how to correctly calculate the self capacitance of a multi layer coil.

I have been trying to find an online calculator or software which can do this but I don't really know where to look.

Just hoping someone here can give me some insight. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Perhaps you'd better define "self-capacitance". Self-inductance I can grasp, self-capacitance is more nebulous. Can you draw a schematic and show a capacitor marked "self-capacitance"?

At a low frequency, the self inductance should be fairly easy to calculate if the coil is of standard construction. The self capacitance is something that will be much harder to determine because it will be frequency dependent. There is a capacitance 'between the connecting terminals' (in parallel with the nominal L) because of the proximity of the turns at each end and this will resonate (parallel resonance) at a certain frequency with the L and increase the effective impedance of the coil. This frequency can be found experimentally with a sweep oscillator but is very hard to predict. I would search with terms like "RF coil winding techniques" and "Parasitic capacitance of coils"

I found this.

The Book "Electronic Transformers and Circuits" by
Reuben Lee, Leo Wilson & Charles E. Carter has two pages describing how to calculate the distributed capacitance of a transformer coil.

Hello!

Calculating the self capacitance of a multi layer coil can be a bit complex, but here are some steps you can follow to get an accurate estimate:

1. Determine the dimensions of your coil - this includes the number of turns, the diameter, and the length of the coil. These parameters will affect the self capacitance value.

2. Calculate the inductance of your coil using a formula such as the Wheeler formula or the Biot-Savart law. This will give you a starting point for your calculations.

3. Use the calculated inductance to find the self capacitance using the formula C = 1/(4π²f²L), where f is the frequency and L is the inductance.

4. Take into account the effects of the multiple layers by using the formula for capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor, C = εA/d, where ε is the permittivity of the material between the layers, A is the area of each layer, and d is the distance between the layers.

5. Finally, to get a more accurate value, you can also consider the mutual capacitance between the layers, which is the capacitance between two adjacent layers. This can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where A is the area of overlap between the two layers and d is the distance between them.

I hope this helps! Keep in mind that these calculations may not give an exact value, as there are other factors that can affect the self capacitance of a multi layer coil. It may be helpful to consult a professional or use specialized software for a more precise estimation. Good luck with your research!

What is self capacitance?

Self capacitance is the measure of a conductor's ability to store electrical charge when a voltage is applied. It is a property of the conductor itself and is independent of any external components.

How is self capacitance of a multi layer coil calculated?

The self capacitance of a multi layer coil can be calculated using the formula: C = (0.2 * r * ln(8r/d) + 1.16 * d) * n, where C is the self capacitance in pF, r is the radius of the coil in cm, d is the distance between layers in cm, and n is the number of layers.

What factors affect the self capacitance of a multi layer coil?

The self capacitance of a multi layer coil is affected by the radius of the coil, the distance between layers, and the number of layers. The type of material used for the conductor can also have an impact on the self capacitance.

Why is self capacitance important in multi layer coil design?

Self capacitance plays a crucial role in the design of multi layer coils as it affects the overall performance and efficiency of the coil. It can also impact the resonant frequency and Q factor of the coil, which are important considerations in many applications.

How can the self capacitance of a multi layer coil be optimized?

The self capacitance of a multi layer coil can be optimized by adjusting the radius of the coil, the distance between layers, and the number of layers. Using materials with higher dielectric constants can also increase the self capacitance. Additionally, proper winding techniques and minimizing the distance between turns can also help optimize the self capacitance.