How to apply BODMAS correctly in the given problem

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Apply
It is a fundamental part of math that has been codified and is not subject to individual opinions. There is a right answer and a wrong answer, and the right answer is dictated by the order of operations. The problem is that people try to find loopholes in the system, and it just leads to confusion. In this case, the ambiguity arises from the fact that the expression is poorly written. The correct way to write it is ##4 \div (6(4+1))## or ##\frac{4}{6(4+1)}##. Then there is no ambiguity.But in 2022 we have the internet.Regional differences in how arithmetic works? No, people can be wrong
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
How do we apply BODMAS to this problem; this follows a discussion that i had with my colleague...

let me come up with the problem;

##4\div 6(4+1)##
Relevant Equations
Bodmas
##4\div 6(4+1)##

Now we both agreed on 1st step that is applying 'B';

##4\div 6(5)##

Now from this step; my understanding is that we apply 'O' that is 'Of' implying Multiplication.

##4\div30=\dfrac{4}{30}=\dfrac{2}{15}##

On the other hand;my colleague was of the thinking that 'O' just means order and has no implication whatsoever and therefore;

##\dfrac{4}{6} ×5=\dfrac{20}{6}=\dfrac{10}{3}##

Which is the correct approach?

Further to this; what of BIDMAS and PEDMAS? In my understanding, BODMAS is the form that is generally acceptable in Maths.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • The ## \div ## symbol is not used in "real" mathematics.
  • Division and multiplication have the same "rank" and so are carried out left to right: the expression can be rewritten ## \frac 4 6 (4 + 1) = \frac {10}3 ##.
  • "O" does not feature in this expression.
  • The acronyms BODMAS, BIDMAS and PEDMAS are equivalent and none is more "generally acceptable" than any other. To be clear, the first letter represents the synonymous terms "Brackets" and "Parentheses" and the second letter the equivalent concepts of "Order", "Indexation" and "Exponentiation".
  • The order of arithmetical operations is well defined and does not depend on any acronym. These acronyms are used by children to help them learn how arithmetic works, not the other way round.
  • For the avoidance of doubt, the word "order" has a different meaning in each of the two previous points: in the immediately preceding point it is synonymous with "sequence".
I don't understand why we are discussing this when you have other threads asking about partial differentiation?

Likes chwala, berkeman, PeroK and 1 other person
Both my Casio and HP calculators say the answer is 10/3

pbuk said:
  • The ## \div ## symbol is not used in "real" mathematics.
  • Division and multiplication have the same "rank" and so are carried out left to right: the expression can be rewritten ## \frac 4 6 (4 + 1) = \frac {10}3 ##.
  • "O" does not feature in this expression.
  • The acronyms BODMAS, BIDMAS and PEDMAS are equivalent and none is more "generally acceptable" than any other. To be clear, the first letter represents the synonymous terms "Brackets" and "Parentheses" and the second letter the equivalent concepts of "Order", "Indexation" and "Exponentiation".
  • The order of arithmetical operations is well defined and does not depend on any acronym. These acronyms are used by children to help them learn how arithmetic works, not the other way round.
  • For the avoidance of doubt, the word "order" has a different meaning in each of the two previous points: in the immediately preceding point it is synonymous with "sequence".
I don't understand why we are discussing this when you have other threads asking about partial differentiation?
Just wanted to be clear on this...thanks for your insight...children do have these kind of questions with division and brackets involved...I simply wanted to know on which part comes first (in particular the part mentioned on my post)...In my childhood I was taught of 'O' ie 'of' implying multiplication. .. looks like I will need to revisit my understanding on that part...I will nevertheless take into account your contribution. Thanks!

chwala said:
On the other hand;my colleague was of the thinking that 'O' just means order and has no implication whatsoever
Many decades ago, I was taught that the ‘O’ in BODMAS stood for ‘of’. This then allowed the teacher to present us with expressions such as ##\frac 45## of 10 +20 (which is of course equal to 28, not 24 ).

But times change (pun intended).

Likes chwala
Steve4Physics said:
Many decades ago, I was taught that the ‘O’ in BODMAS stood for ‘of’. This then allowed the teacher to present us with expressions such as ##\frac 45## of 10 +20 (which is of course equal to 28, not 24 ).

But times change (pun intended).
That has all along been my understanding...i.e ##a(b)## being equivalent to ##a## of ##b##... hence my post.

...keying the values in different calculators gives the two diverse values as answers...

chwala said:
That has all along been my understanding...i.e ##a(b)## being equivalent to ##a## of ##b##... hence my post.

...keying the values in different calculators gives the two diverse values as answers...
Maybe you are working with very old textbooks (or very old teachers)!

Also, maybe there are regional differences in usage (i.e. from country to country).

If there is a risk of ambiguity, brackets can be used.

chwala said:
That's because one of them doesn't have ANY operator precedence, it just performs operations as they are entered. That is the difference between a so-called "scientific" calculator and ones that are given away as toys for adding up your shopping.

https://www.calculator.org/articles/Precedence.html

Steve4Physics said:
Maybe you are working with very old textbooks (or very old teachers)!
But in 2022 we have the internet.

Steve4Physics said:
Also, maybe there are regional differences in usage (i.e. from country to country).
Regional differences in how arithmetic works? No, people can be wrong anywhere.

Likes DrClaude
chwala said:
##4\div 6(4+1)##
I'm getting tired of being these in my social media. This is mathematically ambiguous and there is no right answer.

• Love
Likes pbuk, Mark44 and PeroK
pbuk said:
But in 2022 we have the internet.Regional differences in how arithmetic works? No, people can be wrong anywhere.
There are no issues about how arithmetic works! The (minor) issue is simply the meaning of the 'O' in 'BODMAS'.

With the dubious advantage of age, I would say there has been an actual change in the meaning of the 'O in 'BODMAS' over the decades.

In my youth 'O' represented 'of'. I remember having to work out silly sums such as ##\frac {5}{240}## of £11 10s 7d + 7guineas (which is probably only intelligible to elderly UK readers).

A quick search shows that nowadays, 'O' represent 'other' or 'order'.

I suspect that the changeover occurred in the 1970s here in the UK. Not sure about other countries.

And no idea what is taught in non-English speaking schools.

DrClaude said:
I'm getting tired of being these in my social media. This is mathematically ambiguous and there is no right answer.
Arguments about "order of operations" is one of my pet peeves.

Likes DrClaude

1. What does BODMAS stand for?

BODMAS is an acronym that stands for the order of operations in mathematics: Brackets, Orders, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction.

2. Why is it important to apply BODMAS correctly?

Applying BODMAS correctly ensures that mathematical expressions are evaluated in the correct order, resulting in accurate and consistent answers.

3. How do I know which operation to perform first?

The order of operations is determined by the acronym BODMAS. Brackets should be evaluated first, followed by Orders (exponents), then Division and Multiplication (from left to right), and finally Addition and Subtraction (from left to right).

4. Can I change the order of operations?

No, the order of operations is a fundamental rule in mathematics and cannot be changed. It ensures that all mathematicians arrive at the same answer for a given expression.

5. What should I do if there are multiple operations of the same type?

In cases where there are multiple operations of the same type (e.g. addition and subtraction), they should be evaluated from left to right. For example, in the expression 6 + 3 - 2, the addition should be performed first, resulting in 9 - 2, and then the subtraction should be performed, resulting in a final answer of 7.