Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to avoid boiling/bubbling effect under vacuum?

1. Apr 5, 2017 #1
    I have a process problem where my product is mixed with water and needs to be separated under low temperature range 5-10 deg C. I hope evaporation under vacuum is the only solution but the boiling effect is creating splash and want to avoid it. Prefreezing or lyophilization is not an option given the temperature range. If some body in the forum can help would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sounds like you need better control of your "vacuum" so that it is more like "low pressure". After all, you don't need to go to a hard vacuum to get evaporation but a hard vacuum would be more likely to cause rapid evaporation, thus "splash".

4. Apr 5, 2017 #3
    Appreciate your reply also the concern is time and volume, for us 1 litre should evaporate with in 2-3 minutes or so then we transfer to sterile storage. Its a new challenge we came across and I am working on it.

rgds
    Sayeed

5. Apr 5, 2017 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

how about floating a sterile, porous item on top of the liquid to quell the spalsh? Something like thin Styrofoam with lots of holes in it.

6. Apr 5, 2017 #5
    Thanks for the idea, will give it a try :)

7. Apr 5, 2017 #6

Bandit127

Gold Member

I am with phinds second post. Limiting the effects of the splash (or the undesirable effects of it) rather than preventing it happening in the first place probably gives you an easier set of problems to solve.

8. Apr 5, 2017 #7

Baluncore

Science Advisor

The surface tension of the bubble as it forms must be building up energy prior to bursting and release. We do not know the form of the product or why the bubbles accumulate until they burst and splash.

What is it about the product that allows bubbles to form. Could some surface modifier like a drop of oil or a de-foamer be added to prevent the bubbles forming. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defoamer

Maybe a mechanical or ultrasonic vibration would help the bubbles escape from the material before they can accumulate to a size that becomes a problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted