How to block this website?

• Thread starter td21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block
In summary, the person is having trouble blocking a website on their Mac system using the first method described on a webpage. They have tried flushing the DNS and restarting their computer, but it is not working. They are asking for suggestions, such as clearing browser history or using a firewall's outbound filter. They also mention content blocking software and OpenDNS as potential solutions.
td21
Gold Member
Hi,
I don't know where to ask this question so I decide to ask it here. I search all over the web and cannot find the solution.
I use mac system.

The website i want to block is:
"tankionline.com"

I used the first method stated in this webpage (http://www.wikihow.com/Block-a-Website-in-Safari) which can block many websites successfully but particularly not "tankionline.com". I flushed the DNS many times and restarted my computer. Why is that?

Thank you very much for any help and suggestion.

Computer science news on Phys.org
did you clear your browser history? the system may be pulling a cached page.
the hosts file should do the trick but if that isn't working then perhaps you can make an entry on your firewall's outbound filter and block that address?

1. How can I block a website on my computer?

To block a website on your computer, you can use the host file to redirect the website's URL to a non-existent IP address. This will prevent your computer from accessing the website. Alternatively, you can use browser extensions or parental control software to block specific websites.

2. Is it possible to block a website on my network?

Yes, it is possible to block a website on your network. You can use your router's settings to block certain websites, or you can use a network-wide adblocking software that allows you to add specific websites to the block list.

3. Can I block a website on my mobile phone?

Yes, you can block a website on your mobile phone. Depending on your device, you can use browser extensions or parental control apps to block specific websites. You can also modify the host file on your phone to block a website, but this may require rooting or jailbreaking your device.

4. How do I unblock a website that I have previously blocked?

If you have used the host file method to block a website, you can simply remove the website's URL from the host file to unblock it. If you have used a browser extension or parental control software, you can go to the settings and remove the website from the block list. For network-wide blocks, you will need to access your router's settings and remove the website from the block list.

5. Is there a way to block a website without using any software?

Yes, you can block a website without using any software by modifying the host file on your computer or mobile device. However, this method may require some technical knowledge and may not be feasible for blocking websites on a network level.