Mac applications backup and tranfer

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Time Machine for backing up data on a Mac and transferring it to a new Mac with a different operating system. It is unclear whether Time Machine can transfer computer programs without the installation DVD, but there are possibly third-party applications that can do so. Additionally, the topic of transferring data from a Mac to a PC via USB flash drive is brought up, with a suggested solution being to use a compatible file system. The conversation also mentions the use of Carbon Copy Cloner to clone a hard drive to a new computer.
fog37
Hello Forum,

I have asked several people and looked online as well on this topic. I have a mac and back all my information up using the Time Machine.

1) If I buy a new mac (new and different operating system) will I be able to transfer all the data and specifically the various computer programs that are installed on the new computer on the new computer using Time Machine? I don't have the old installation dvd for those softwares but I don't want to lose them.
If Time Machine cannot do that, I think there may be 3rd party applications that can do that.

2) I am often using external memory USB flash drives to store and transfer information. But if I saved the data on a mac and want to try to transfer it to a PC, the drive looks empty. why? Is there a way around this?

thanks,
fog37

Computer science news on Phys.org
This is what you are looking for https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204350 & https://support.apple.com/kb/ph10725?locale=en_US

Also, if you have an external HD as a backup you can clone your drive to your new computer using Carbon Copy Cloner. This will make an exact copy of your hard drive's contents and is an indispensable piece of software or you can connect your old Mac to your new machine in Target Disk Mode and using CCC, clone your drive to the new machine

https://bombich.com

What is a Mac application backup and transfer?

A Mac application backup and transfer is the process of copying and storing all the data and settings of a Mac application onto an external storage device or cloud storage service. This allows you to restore the application and its data on a different Mac or in case of a system failure.

Why is it important to back up Mac applications?

Backing up Mac applications is important because it ensures that you have a copy of all your important data and settings in case of a system failure, accidental deletion, or hardware damage. It also allows you to transfer your applications and data to a new Mac seamlessly.

What are the different ways to back up Mac applications?

There are several ways to back up Mac applications, including using Time Machine, third-party backup software, or manually copying the application and its data to an external storage device or cloud storage service. Each method has its own advantages and it's recommended to have multiple backups in different locations.

How do I transfer Mac applications to a new Mac?

To transfer Mac applications to a new Mac, you can use the Time Machine backup feature, which will restore all your applications, data, and settings to the new Mac. You can also use third-party migration software or manually copy the applications and their data to the new Mac.

Can I transfer Mac applications between different versions of macOS?

Yes, you can transfer Mac applications between different versions of macOS, as long as the applications are compatible with the new version. However, it's always recommended to check with the application's developer for any compatibility issues or to update the application before transferring it to a different version of macOS.