How to build a hydrogen cell with nafion

In summary, Nafion is commonly used as a proton exchange membrane and has been used as a separator in fuel cell applications. A google search can provide more general information and if you have specific questions, feel free to ask. One person has had success creating a Hydrogen Fuel cell using platinum coated nickel wire and there is a website that can provide more information on this topic.
bama2011
Has anyone built a hydrogen cell using nafion?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Not sure what you are asking .. Nafion is widely used as a proton exchange membrane, and has definitely been used as a separator in various fuel cell applications. A google search can help with the general info part .. come back if you have specific questions.

1. What materials do I need to build a hydrogen cell with nafion?

To build a hydrogen cell with nafion, you will need a piece of nafion membrane, electrodes (such as platinum or carbon), a container, wires, a power source, and a source of hydrogen gas.

2. How does a hydrogen cell with nafion work?

A hydrogen cell with nafion works by separating hydrogen ions from electrons using the nafion membrane. The hydrogen ions flow through the membrane and interact with the electrode, while the electrons flow through an external circuit, creating a flow of electricity.

3. Can I use any type of nafion membrane to build a hydrogen cell?

No, it is important to use a specific type of nafion membrane that is designed for use in hydrogen cells. These membranes are typically thinner and have a higher concentration of ion exchange sites, making them more efficient for separating hydrogen ions.

4. How do I assemble the hydrogen cell with nafion?

The first step is to cut a piece of nafion membrane to fit your container. Next, place the electrodes on either side of the membrane, making sure they are in contact with the membrane. Then, connect the electrodes to the wires and place the container in a larger container filled with water. Finally, connect the wires to a power source and a source of hydrogen gas.

5. Can I use a hydrogen cell with nafion to power any device?

Hydrogen cells with nafion can be used to power small devices, but they may not be powerful enough to power larger devices. Additionally, the source of hydrogen gas may need to be replenished in order to continue producing electricity.