How to build a circuit for an electrochemical to extract different metals

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
gedfire
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Hello All,

I am trying to build what is essentially an electrochemical cell which I will use to filter waste water and try to recover gold silver and copper among other metals on a High Surface Area Cathode like Carbon.I want this electronic filter to be selective about the metals recovered based on their positions in the electrochemical series. How could I go about that? I was thinking I could start at low voltages first eg: 0.5v then the next cell would have maybe 0.9 v and the next 1.3 v then 2v in that order.

Any suggestions as to the circuit needed parts operating principles? is it possible?

Gary
 
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes you can do it selectively based on voltage. What voltage? You need to look up the electrochemical potential for each chemical reaction you need.

Then separate lowest voltage constituent first, then pass the solution to the next highest voltage, and so on.

So you'll have to do a fair bit of chemistry homework, not electrical.