Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate BMEP from P-V Graphs?

1. Apr 24, 2009 #1
    I have a P-V trace for a wide open throttle and a part load. Is it possible to calculate the BMEP from these graphs?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2009 #2

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

see Horsepower - Please help - Confused! posted on Feb 14 2009

BMEP = ( Hp x 13000) / ( liter displacement x RPM)

4. Apr 26, 2009 #3
    that doesnt really help considering all i am given are values of different pressures and volumes

5. Apr 26, 2009 #4

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you have pressure and volume you may integrate PdV to determine work, then divide by time to determine power.

For example, if you have a table of values that give pressure and volume, you should be able to take average pressure (gage pressure, not absolute) and change in volume, multiply to obtain work, then sum all work done over a single cycle (360 degrees of crankshaft rotation for a 2 stroke, 720 degrees for a 4 stroke) and divide by time it takes for that cycle to get power.

6. Apr 28, 2009 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure, integrate to find the area enclosed by the PV curve; this gives you the IMEP.

7. Apr 28, 2009 #6
    Q_Goest is bang on the money with this one, I used a similar type of thing in my masters disseration. Designing a vintage V8 racing engine using simulation techniques. huzzah.

Integrating real curves is a *****, either find a program that can make approximate curves from a set of data points or break out the graph paper.

8. Apr 29, 2009 #7
    If you have no better software than Excel, you can use a trapezoidal numerical integration approach reasonably well so long as the x-interval is pretty small compared to the sample length.

But when it comes to a manual method, use a planimeter! I've mentioned before with PV diagrams, they're absolutely fantastic and much better than counting squares :)

9. Apr 29, 2009 #8
    Those are two marvellous suggestions. I feel especially silly about the numerical integration in excel as that is probably the easiest way to do it, I should have known that but never even thought to use the trapezoid rule. :(

10. Apr 29, 2009 #9

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually, if you used the average pressure between two datapoints then you used the trapezoid rule! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook