1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate derivative of a vector valued function

1. Nov 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex] \vec f_1 : \bf R^n \rightarrow R^1 [/tex], [tex]\vec f_1(\vec x) = \|\vec x\|^2[/tex], calculate [tex]\vec f_1'(\left[ \begin{array}{c} 1 \\\vdots\\ 1 \end{array} \right])[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I calculated the derivative as follow:
    Since
    [tex]\vec f_1(\vec x) =\|\vec x \|^2[/tex], [tex]\vec f_1(\vec x) = \sum \limits_{i=1}^n x_i^2[/tex].
    So
    [tex]\vec f_1(\vec x + \vec h) = \sum \limits_{i = 1}^n (x_i + h_i)^2 = \sum \limits_{i=1}^n (x_i^2 + 2x_i h_i + h_i^2) = \sum \limits_{i=1}^n x_i^2 + \sum \limits_{i=1}^n 2x_i h_i + \sum \limits_{i=1}^n h_i^2[/tex].
    Thus, we have:
    [tex]\vec f_1(\vec x + \vec h) - \vec f_1(\vec x) = \sum \limits_{i=1}^n (2x_i h_i +h_i^2)[/tex]

Since according to the definition of the derivative of vector valued function (Rudin Analysis Page 212):
    If there exists a linear transformation [tex] A [/tex] such that
    [tex] \lim \limits_{\vec h to 0} \frac{|\vec f(\vec x + \vec h) - \vec f(\vec x) - A\vec h |}{|\vec h|} = 0 [/tex],
    then [tex] \vec f [/tex] is differentiable at [tex] \vec x [/tex], and
    [tex] \vec f'(\vec x) = A [/tex]

I defined a linear transformation as: [tex] A = 2 \vec x^T [/tex], such that we may have [tex] A \vec h = \sum \limits_{i = 1}^n 2x_i h_i [/tex]. Then since [tex]\lim \limits_{\vec h to 0} \frac{|\sum \limits_{i = 1}^n h_i^2|}{|\vec h|} = \lim \limits_{\vec h to 0} |\vec h| = 0 [/tex], [tex] A = 2 \vec x^T = \vec f'(\vec x) [/tex], and then plug [tex] \vec x = \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ \vdots \\1 \end{pmatrix} [/tex] into the expression [tex] \vec f'(\vec x) [/tex].

Is this solution correct? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A function from Rn to R is essentially a function f such that [itex]f(x_1, x_2, x_3,\cdot\cdot\cdot, f_n)[/itex] is a number for each [itex](x_1, x_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, x_n)[/itex] Its derivative can represented by the vector
    [tex]<\frac{\partial f}{\partial x_1}, \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_2}, \cdot\cdot\cdot, \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_n}>[/tex]
    the gradient of the function.

[itex]||x||^2= x_1^2+ x_2^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ x_n^2[/itex]
    The gradient is [itex]2x_1+ 2x_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ 2x_n[/itex]

Evaluate that at [itex]x_1= x_2= x_3= \cdot\cdot\cdot= x_n= 1[/itex].

To answer your specific question,
    [tex]\lim \limits_{\vec h to 0} \frac{|\sum \limits_{i = 1}^n h_i^2|}{|\vec h|}[/tex]
    is 0 but that omly tells you the derivative at (0, 0, ..., 0), not at (1, 1, 1,...,1).
    What is
    [tex]\lim \limits_{\vec h to 0} \frac{|\sum \limits_{i = 1}^n (1+h_i)^2- 1|}{|\vec h|}[/tex]?

4. Nov 26, 2008 #3
    Thanks for replying!
    [tex]\lim \limits_{\vec h \rightarrow 0} \frac{|\sum \limits_{i=1}^n h_i^2|}{|\vec h|}[/tex] was obtained from [tex] \lim \limits_{\vec h \rightarrow 0} \frac{|\vec f(\vec x + \vec h) - \vec f(\vec x) - A\vec h|}{|\vec h|} [/tex]. Since I defined the linear transform at [tex]\vec x = \left[\begin{array}{c} x_1 \\ \vdots \\ x_n \end{array}\right][/tex] as [tex] A = \left(\begin{array}{ccc} 2x_1 & \ldots & 2x_n \end{array}\right) [/tex], I got [tex] A\vec h = \sum \limits_{i = 1}^n 2x_i h_i[/tex].

Plug this [tex] A\vec h[/tex] back to the definition of derivative, I got:
    [tex] \lim \limits_{\vec h \rightarrow 0} \frac{|\vec f(\vec x + \vec h) - \vec f(\vec x) - A\vec h|}{|\vec h|} = \lim \limits_{\vec h \rightarrow 0} |\vec h| = 0. [/tex].

I think I have shown that the linear transformation [tex]A[/tex] does exist at [tex]\vec x[/tex], so according to the definition [tex] \vec f'(\left[\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ \vdots \\ 1 \end{array}\right]) = \left(\begin{array}{ccc} 2 & \ldots & 2 \end{array}\right)[/tex].

But I just was confused by the fact that the function [tex] \vec f(\vec x)[/tex] actually maps [tex] \bf R^n [/tex] to [tex] \bf R^1 [/tex], but the result of my calculation implies that [tex] \vec f'(\vec x)[/tex] maps [tex] \bf R^n [/tex] to itself? Am I wrong somewhere? Or I still didn't really understand the definition?
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?