How to calculate displacement from distance?

In summary: It can be done, but of course it's not exactly trivial.In summary, the distance between Islamabad and Sialkot is 300km, but the displacement may vary depending on the method of transportation used and the route taken. There are formulas available to calculate the displacement between two points on the surface of a sphere, such as the great-circle distance formula. However, without more specific information, it is not possible to accurately calculate the displacement from the given distance between the two cities. More information, such as the coordinates of the two points, would be needed to accurately determine the displacement.
otomanb
2z4jmab.jpg

the distance from Islamabad to my hometown "sialkot" is 300km.
if i use helicopter what would be the displacement ?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
A map?

Or breaking it up into segments and estimating the displacement?

Checking google maps the displacement between the two is approximately 30km

i want to do it mathematically not using google earth.
is there any formula to find displacement from distance? suppose if i use helicopter how would i have to cover from islamabad to Sialkot?

156s268.jpg

I'm not sure what your terminology means...but a correct explanation for distance on the surface of a sphere is given here:

" The great-circle distance ...distance is the shortest distance between any two points on the surface of a sphere measured along a path on the surface of the sphere (as opposed to going through the sphere's interior). ..."

formulas are given in this text:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great-circle_distance

There is a way to calculate displacement from the distance between two points because in normal usage the two are the same, the distance of your path isn't what most people would term the distance between the two points. And aside from measuring the two lines in your image and comparing them you aren't going to have much luck converting from one to the other.

By distance do you mean chord length (a straight line between two points that goes through the sphere rather than along it's surface)? The wiki article linked to above includes the chord length formulas.

Naty1 said:
formulas are given in this text:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great-circle_distance
That looks like the best answer. Provided OP knows the co-ordinates of the two towns, just plug them into the round-earth formula, and he'll have their distance apart.

You can't calculate the shortest distance between two points if the only information you are given is the distance of a path between them. There is simply not enough information.

The least information you'd need is the bearing followed at every point on the path.

1. What is the formula for calculating displacement from distance?

The formula for calculating displacement from distance is: displacement = final position - initial position. This means that you subtract the initial position from the final position to find the displacement.

2. How do I determine the initial and final positions?

The initial and final positions can be determined by measuring the starting and ending points of an object's motion. This can be done using a ruler or measuring tape, or by using the coordinates on a graph if the motion is plotted.

3. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative. A negative displacement indicates that an object has moved in the opposite direction of its initial position.

4. What are the units for displacement and distance?

The units for displacement and distance are the same and depend on the system of measurement used. In the metric system, the units for displacement and distance are meters (m). In the imperial system, the units are feet (ft).

5. Can displacement be greater than distance?

No, displacement cannot be greater than distance. Displacement is a vector quantity that represents the shortest distance between the initial and final positions, while distance is a scalar quantity that represents the total length of the path traveled. Therefore, displacement will always be equal to or less than the distance traveled.