How to calculate distance when there's a changing force?D:

• Thread starter monikraw
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a 3.50kg box initially moving at 10.0m/s with a horizontal force of (6.00N/s^2)t^2 being applied to the left. The distance the box moves from its initial position before its speed is reduced to zero can be calculated using the equations x = x0 + v0xt + .5axt^2 and F = ma. Using calculus, the acceleration can be found to be 6.00/3.50 (m/s^2) and the velocity at 4 seconds can be found by plugging in the time and acceleration into the equation vx = v0 + axt.
monikraw
How to calculate distance when there's a changing force?D:

Homework Statement

A 3.50kg box is moving to the right with speed 10.0m/s on a horizontal, frictionless surface. At t = 0 a horizontal force is applied to the box. The force is directed to the left and has magnitude F(t) = (6.00N/s^2)t^2

What distance does the box move from its position at before its speed is reduced to zero?

If the force continues to be applied, what is the speed of the box at 4.00 ?

Homework Equations

x = x0 + v0xt + .5axt^2
F = ma
vx = v0 + axt
I might be missing several

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start for this problem.
I drew a free body diagram and it didn't help me.
What I calculated :
Force downward is 3.5kg x 9.8 m/s^2
or the weight
I don't know how to calculate the forces to the left and right.

For the second question I plugged in 4 to the F(t) equation and got 96
so I used 96 = ma SO
96 = 3.5 * a
a = 27.4
and I plugged 27.4 into vx = v0x + axt
so vx = 10m/s + 27.4(4)
and got 119.7 and this is not correct.

Help please, thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I tried googling the problem and someone else had a similar problem. They got 6.00 for acceleration and I'm not too sure as to how the person got it, but I used it and got 19.5 for the first question.

I don't know how to calculate the new velocity after 4 seconds though.
I used

vx = v0 + axt
vx = 10m/s + 6.00(4)
vx = 34...incorrect.
please help

You'll need to use calculus. You start here:

F(t) = (6.00N/s^2)t^2 = (6.00 kg m / s^2) t^2
m = 3.50kg
a(t) = (6.00 / 3.50) (m/s^2) t^2
v(t) = ?
x(t) = ?

1. How does changing force affect distance calculations?

When calculating distance with a changing force, it's important to consider the acceleration caused by the force. This means that the distance traveled will not be constant and will vary based on the strength and direction of the force.

2. What is the formula for calculating distance with a changing force?

The formula for calculating distance with a changing force is d = 1/2at2, where d is the distance, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed since the force was applied.

3. Are there any other factors that need to be considered when calculating distance with changing force?

Yes, in addition to acceleration, the initial velocity of the object and any other forces acting on it must also be taken into account. These factors will affect the object's motion and therefore impact the distance traveled.

4. Can distance be calculated with a changing force if the object's mass is unknown?

No, the object's mass is necessary in order to calculate distance with a changing force. This is because mass affects an object's acceleration, which in turn affects the distance it travels.

5. How can distance be calculated with a changing force in real-life scenarios?

In real-life scenarios, distance with a changing force can be calculated by measuring the object's acceleration, initial velocity, and time elapsed since the force was applied. These values can then be plugged into the formula d = 1/2at2 to find the distance traveled.