How to calculate gain in a circuit

• Engineering
  • Thread starter DreamSanchez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit Gain
In summary: So, for example, if you are trying to find the voltage gain in terms of the given circuit parameters, then you need to express Vin in terms of Vsource, and then use the expression you found in part (a).In summary, the voltage gain of the amplifier, Vout / Vin, can be determined by using a voltage divider with the resistors (Ro * Rl) / (Ro + Rl) on the right side and [ (Rb * Rin) / (Rb + Rin) ] + Rs on the left side. The overall voltage gain between the source and the output, Vout / Vsourse, can also be determined by finding an expression for Vin in terms of Vsource and using the
DreamSanchez
http://imgur.com/K5nPY

a) Determine the voltage gain of the amplifier, Vout / Vin, in terms of the parameters in the given circuit.

b) Determine the overall voltage gain between the source and the output, Vout / Vsourse, in terms of the parameters in the given circuit.

Attempt at Solution:

I attempted condensing the resistors.
(Ro * Rl) / (Ro + Rl) becomes the new resistor on the right side.
[ (Rb * Rin) / (Rb + Rin) ] + Rs becomes the new resistor on the left side.

After this I am lost. Can anyone help me out here?

Physics news on Phys.org
DreamSanchez said:
http://imgur.com/K5nPY

a) Determine the voltage gain of the amplifier, Vout / Vin, in terms of the parameters in the given circuit.

b) Determine the overall voltage gain between the source and the output, Vout / Vsourse, in terms of the parameters in the given circuit.

Attempt at Solution:

I attempted condensing the resistors.
(Ro * Rl) / (Ro + Rl) becomes the new resistor on the right side.
[ (Rb * Rin) / (Rb + Rin) ] + Rs becomes the new resistor on the left side.

After this I am lost. Can anyone help me out here?

Hi DreamSanchez, Welcome to Physics Forums.

For part (a), since you are to assume that Vin is a given, then surely you can find an expression for Vout? Looks like a simple voltage divider to me...

For part (b) you do essentially the same thing, only here you need to find Vin first given that Vsource is known.

1. What is gain in a circuit?

Gain in a circuit refers to the amplification of a signal as it travels through a circuit. It is a measure of the ratio of the output signal to the input signal.

2. How do you calculate gain in a circuit?

Gain in a circuit can be calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage, or by dividing the output current by the input current. The resulting value is typically expressed in decibels (dB).

3. What is the difference between voltage gain and current gain?

Voltage gain measures the amplification of an electrical signal in terms of voltage, while current gain measures the amplification in terms of current. Both types of gain are commonly used in different types of circuits.

4. What factors can affect the gain in a circuit?

The gain in a circuit can be affected by various factors including the type and quality of components used, the input and output impedance of the circuit, and the frequency of the input signal.

5. How can I increase the gain in a circuit?

The gain in a circuit can be increased by using amplifying components such as transistors or operational amplifiers, adjusting the feedback loop, or using external amplification devices. However, it is important to consider potential trade-offs and limitations when increasing gain in a circuit.