How to calculate heat of combustion?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 48K views
312213
Messages
52
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Calculate the heat of combustion per mole of glucose(s), C6H12O6(s).

This is the only information given. There is no Hess' law equations or any of the sort.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I already know the answer is roughly -2813kJ/mole but I don't understand how to arrive to the answer with this little information. I would like to be given some sort of direction that could help me calculate to -2813kJ/mole.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Write the balanced equation for C6H12O6 + xO2 -> whatever
Find how many bonds are broken/made
Look up the bond energy
A bit of arithmatic
 
For what's it's worth, I agree with the above poster. Draw a Lewis Dot structure and figure out the bonds. Bond energy=delta H of reaction = Bonds broken (reactants) - Bonds formed (final products). You can look up these values online or in your textbook. =)