How to devise moment of inertia formula of solid sphere?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
imadrea
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


how to divide moment of inertia of solid sphere about its central axis?. Solid sphere has radius R, mass M.

Homework Equations



I=∫r2dm
2/5 MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution


https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipPoXyad0q1Y3yisc0LeeJHGApkIrGbitK6kAk5p
i try to imagine that solid sphere is a group of infinite disk. a disk have volume dv=πr2dx.
dm=ρdv=πρr2dx.
I=R∫-Rr2πρr2dx
I=πρR∫-Rr4dx
I=πρR∫-R(R2-x2)2dx
I=πρR∫-RR4-2R2x2+x4dx
I=πρ[2R5-4/3R5+2/5R5]
!=πρR5[30-20+6]/15
I=16/15 πρR5
I=4/5 (4/3πρR3)R2
I=4/5MR2

where my eror? i have spent 2 days to solve it but i am failed until now.
 
Attachments
  • gambar bola.PNG
    gambar bola.PNG
    4.4 KB · Views: 581
Physics news on Phys.org
In your first integral, you introduce an extra factor r2. I assume this is related to the moment of inertia of a disk about its axis. Have you forgotten something there?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: imadrea
I assume this is related to the moment of inertia of a disk about its axis. Have you forgotten something there?
i think this is just subtitution for dm=ρπr2dx. I'm confused
 
imadrea said:
i think this is just subtitution for dm=ρπr2dx. I'm confused
No, in the next line you have another r2 factor.