How to Calculate Radiation Pressure Inside a Kiln?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
S_Flaherty
Messages
75
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Consider the electromagnetic radiation inside a kiln, with a volume of 1 m3 and a temperature of 1500 K.

Calculate the radiation pressure inside the kiln. How does it compare with the air pressure?


Homework Equations


PV = NkT


The Attempt at a Solution


I got the total energy using U/V = 8π5(kT)4/15(hc)3 and got U = 3.83 kJ. To find the radiation pressure would I just divide the energy by c? Also, how do I find the air pressure if I don't have a value for N?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Radiation pressure is related to the energy density, not total energy. If you don't have a formula at hand, you can calculate the relation pretty easily by using for instance [tex]C_v = \frac{\partial U}{\partial T} = T\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}[/tex] to find entropy. Use that to find the free energy [itex]F = U - TS[/itex] and pressure [itex]p = -\frac{\partial F}{\partial V}[/itex].
 
clamtrox said:
Radiation pressure is related to the energy density, not total energy. If you don't have a formula at hand, you can calculate the relation pretty easily by using for instance [tex]C_v = \frac{\partial U}{\partial T} = T\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}[/tex] to find entropy. Use that to find the free energy [itex]F = U - TS[/itex] and pressure [itex]p = -\frac{\partial F}{\partial V}[/itex].

Thanks!, this helps a lot