Thermodynamics: Air pressure at 3000m above sea level

In summary, the conversation involves a request for guidance with a problem involving calculating air pressure at a specific elevation, and the use of the Stokes-Einstein equation and Brownian motion theory. One person has solved the problem using the barometric formula, but is seeking clarification on how to use Brownian motion theory. The other person is unable to provide assistance.
mikeclinton
Hello all! Can you please provide some guidance with this problem?

1. Homework Statement

Calculate the air pressure at 3000m above sea level assuming that the molecular weight of air is 29 and the ambient temperature is constant against height.

Homework Equations

Stokes-Einstein equation. In fact, brownian motion was the focus of the class but I fail to understand how it can be applied to the problem above.

Thank you! Any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
mikeclinton said:
Hello all! Can you please provide some guidance with this problem?

1. Homework Statement

Calculate the air pressure at 3000m above sea level assuming that the molecular weight of air is 29 and the ambient temperature is constant against height.

Homework Equations

Stokes-Einstein equation. In fact, brownian motion was the focus of the class but I fail to understand how it can be applied to the problem above.

Thank you! Any help is much appreciated!
Have you studied hydrostatics yet? In terms of density, what is the derivative of pressure with respect to elevation?

Chet

Hello Chet, thank you for your reply! I have in fact managed to solve the problem using the barometric formula (if my calculations are correct P=533.04 with sea level atmospheric pressure set at 100kPa). However, our teacher instructed us to utilize Brownian motion theory; I'm not too familiar with it and thus can't see how it is relevant here.

mikeclinton said:
Hello Chet, thank you for your reply! I have in fact managed to solve the problem using the barometric formula (if my calculations are correct P=533.04 with sea level atmospheric pressure set at 100kPa). However, our teacher instructed us to utilize Brownian motion theory; I'm not too familiar with it and thus can't see how it is relevant here.
Sorry. I can't help you there.

Chet

Thanks anyway!

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It studies how these factors affect the behavior of systems at a macroscopic level.

How does air pressure change at higher altitudes?

As altitude increases, the air becomes less dense and the pressure decreases. This is because there is less air above pushing down on the air below.

Why does air pressure decrease with altitude?

This is due to the decrease in the weight of the air above as altitude increases. The higher the altitude, the lower the air pressure because there is less air pressing down from above.

What is the standard air pressure at sea level?

The standard air pressure at sea level is 1013.25 millibars or 14.7 pounds per square inch (psi).

What is the air pressure at 3000m above sea level?

The air pressure at 3000m above sea level is approximately 700 millibars or 10.15 psi. This is significantly lower than the standard air pressure at sea level.