How to calculate sound speed in atmosphere?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
kkk
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello. Just wondering how to calculate the sound speed in the atmosphere if I have temperature and pressure from the surface and all the way up to thermosphere?
 
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
kkk said:
Hello. Just wondering how to calculate the sound speed in the atmosphere if I have temperature and pressure from the surface and all the way up to thermosphere?

hi there
welcome to PF :smile:

what reading have you done so far to find the formula to use ?
 
hello, and thank you for answering me.

I have read different articles, but can't find formula depending on pressure and temperature? I know how to calculate the effective sound speed, but not the the just the sound speed.
 
I googled ... calculating speed of sound in the atmosphere ... which is what your Q was
got lots of hits and formula

Hint ... density plays a big part :wink: