How to calculate sound speed in atmosphere?

In summary, calculating the speed of sound in the atmosphere can be done by using the formula that takes into account temperature, pressure, and density. Resources such as interactive websites and engineering sites can provide helpful information and tools to assist in this calculation. It is important to understand the concept of a "standard atmosphere" when using these resources.
kkk
Hello. Just wondering how to calculate the sound speed in the atmosphere if I have temperature and pressure from the surface and all the way up to thermosphere?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
kkk said:
Hello. Just wondering how to calculate the sound speed in the atmosphere if I have temperature and pressure from the surface and all the way up to thermosphere?

hi there
welcome to PF :smile:

what reading have you done so far to find the formula to use ?

hello, and thank you for answering me.

I have read different articles, but can't find formula depending on pressure and temperature? I know how to calculate the effective sound speed, but not the the just the sound speed.

I googled ... calculating speed of sound in the atmosphere ... which is what your Q was
got lots of hits and formula

Hint ... density plays a big part :wink:

1. How is sound speed calculated in the atmosphere?

The speed of sound in the atmosphere is calculated using the formula c = √(γRT), where c is the speed of sound, γ is the adiabatic index, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

2. What is the adiabatic index used for in the calculation of sound speed?

The adiabatic index, also known as the ratio of specific heats, is used to account for the compressibility of air. It is a measure of how much the temperature of air changes when it is compressed or expanded.

3. Does the speed of sound in the atmosphere vary with altitude?

Yes, the speed of sound in the atmosphere decreases with increasing altitude. This is because the air becomes less dense at higher altitudes, making it easier for sound waves to travel through. Additionally, the temperature also decreases with altitude, which affects the speed of sound.

4. How does temperature affect the speed of sound in the atmosphere?

Temperature has a direct effect on the speed of sound in the atmosphere. As temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases, and vice versa. This is because sound waves travel faster through warmer air, which has molecules that move more quickly than in colder air.

5. Can the speed of sound in the atmosphere be affected by other factors?

Yes, besides temperature and altitude, the speed of sound in the atmosphere can also be affected by humidity and air pressure. Higher humidity can slow down the speed of sound, while lower air pressure can increase it. However, these effects are relatively small compared to the primary factors of temperature and altitude.