Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate stress on a beam using MATLAB?

1. Aug 9, 2015 #1
    Hey all,

I want to calculate the stress and strain on a beam using MATLAB and I would also like to make a stress-strain curve as well. The problem is as follows:

I have a hollow rectangular aluminum beam that is fixed at both ends. I have the material properties and the dimensions of the beam. The beam is 60 cm in z (length), 5 cm in x (width), and 3 cm in y (depth?). There is a load on this beam at let's say 40 cm from the wall (the other end is supported by another beam attached to ground). The load is approximately (40kg)(9.8m/s^2). Is there any way I can make a figure of this beam in MATLAB indicating where the load is applied and then calculate the stress and also plot stress-strain curve? Or if anyone has any references that would also help greatly. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2015 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Roark - Formulas for stress and strain - any edition .

Timoshenko - Strength of materials part 1 - any edition .

4. Aug 9, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You forgot the dimensions of the hollow portion of the beam.

MATLAB is just a calculation tool, like a calculator, essentially. It has a rather specialized programming language to follow, in order to tell it what you want to calculate.

You don't just throw a bunch of numbers and formulas at MATLAB and hope that it will provide correct results. You must first understand what you are trying to do.

5. Aug 9, 2015 #4
    I know what MATLAB is and what it is capable of. I did not forget the dimensions of the hollow portion, I left it out on purpose. I do not know how to make a figure of this beam in MATLAB and show where the load is being applied. I can get this help without mentioning those dimensions. And really, the dimensions are meaningless. They are so easily changed it does not matter for this discussion. You must first stop assuming and fully think through your responses

6. Aug 9, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's always a set of documentation on MATLAB you can read. Try that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook