How do you calculate Stress of a curved beam?

In summary: You would need to determine the forces at each point on the cross section and determine the resultant stresses. Once you have that information you can use the equations to calculate the ultimate stresses.
wormy505
How do you calculate Stress of a curved beam??

Hi there, I'm new here so I got a project to make a windscreen on solidworks and analysis using FEA no problem :)
However I'm also asked to analysis stress on the windscreen experienced by the air resistance manually, I have worked out the air resistance force 650 N but I have no idea of how to analysis the stress on the windscreen, here is a screen shot of my solidworks file. Also need to analysis strain and deflection.
I don't know how to add a url
http://www.mediafire.com/download/tb414daqwtx5r02/screen_dimensions.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey wormy, I just want to warn you by saying that if you don't know what your answer is supposed to be then using FEA could be dangerous since you have no way of knowing whether or not you were using the correct model. On the other hand if you know what the answers are supposed to look like then you can gauge your error that way. As for the stress I think your main problem will end up being dealing with that cross section, luckily you did stuff in Solidworks to help you out. Since you already did FEA on the beam you should be able to determine where the beam will most likely fail, calculate the stress acting at that point and use Solidworks to get information on the cross section at that point. Use statics to determine the forces that will cause the most compression and tensile stresses on the beam. it may be simplified but a good idea of how to use the equations and get an idea of the steps involved to solve this can be found here:
http://site.iugaza.edu.ps/marafa/files/Analysis-of-Curved-Beams.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
First and foremost is determining the velocity profile of the wind approaching the beam. A good first approximation is that the profile is uniform (ie a rectangle). Second, you will need a drag coefficient. I suggest looking up Cd for a square. Similar search result may be obtained if you look up bluff bodies.

As for analysing stress, I would assume it would be identical to a beam under gravitational load with fixed boundary conditions as a first approximation.

1. How do you determine the maximum stress of a curved beam?

To determine the maximum stress of a curved beam, you will need to use the formula for bending stress, which is σ = (M * c) / I. M represents the maximum moment applied to the beam, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the point being analyzed, and I is the moment of inertia of the cross-section of the beam. Once you have these values, simply plug them into the formula to calculate the maximum stress.

2. What is the difference between stress and strain in a curved beam?

Stress refers to the internal force or pressure that is applied to a material, while strain is the measure of how much the material is deformed or changed due to the applied stress. In a curved beam, stress is caused by the bending moment applied to the beam, while strain is the resulting curvature or deflection of the beam.

3. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for a curved beam?

The moment of inertia for a curved beam can be calculated using the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia of a curved beam is equal to the moment of inertia of the cross-section about its centroid, plus the product of the cross-sectional area and the square of the distance between the centroid and the axis of rotation. This formula can be applied to both symmetric and non-symmetric cross-sections.

4. Can the stress of a curved beam be reduced?

Yes, the stress of a curved beam can be reduced by adjusting the parameters that affect bending stress, such as the applied moment, beam dimensions, and material properties. For example, increasing the beam's cross-sectional area or using a stronger material can help to reduce stress. Additionally, adding supports or reinforcements to the beam can also help to reduce stress and increase its overall strength.

5. How do you determine the neutral axis of a curved beam?

The neutral axis of a curved beam is the line along which there is no stress or strain present. It can be determined by finding the centroid of the cross-section of the beam, which is the point where all the forces and moments can be considered to act through. The neutral axis will pass through this centroid and will be perpendicular to the direction of the applied moment.