Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate stress on a pipe wall

1. Mar 8, 2017 #1
    I have a PVC fitting that keeps cracking. The fitting consists of 2 parts. One piece is placed over the end of a flexible PVC ribbed hose, and the other is inserted inside the hose. The 2 parts act as a compression fitting to attach to the end of the hose. The hose typically has an outside diameter of 1.85". When the internal part is screwed into the hose, it expands the hose's outer diameter to 1.9". The inner diameter of the external part is 1.8". How do I calculate the stress exerted by the compressed hose material on the external part of my fitting?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2017 #2
    Can you provide a diagram?

4. Mar 9, 2017 #3
  5. Mar 9, 2017 #4

JBA

Is this failure something that occurs after a period of time in service? If so, have you investigated all of the potential environmental and service elements that might cause loss of strength and/or embrittlement of the outer ring.

6. Mar 10, 2017 #5
    No, they are not in service. No, they are not exposed to foreign elements.

7. Mar 10, 2017 #6

JBA

Can you find out from the supplier/manufacturer the compressive modulus of the flexible pvc hose material?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted