Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automotive How to calculate suspended weight capacity of trailer springs

1. Aug 21, 2012 #1
    Hello

I am using an rubber suspension component from Rosta, and want to calculate the deflection over a range of weights acting on a lever attached to the rubber suspension units.
    HOw do I convert static weight to Nm of force for determining the deflection of the units?

thanks

here's the component line that I am selecting from-

http://rostainc.com/pdfs/applications/Rosta_Catalogues/Rubber%20Suspension%20Units.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Weight force is just mg applied, I guess, to one end of the lever. You need the geometry of the lever to determine how the lever arm transmits that force to the unit and the elastic properties of the unit to work out how it is compressed or extended.

4. Aug 29, 2012 #3
    I agree with Simon. A moment diagram will yield forces on the rubber. Then divide that by the spring constant of the rubber (hookes law). this will result in the displacement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook