How to calculate the angles that define the position your arm is in

In summary, to calculate the azimuth and polar angles between points E and W, one approach is to construct vectors for the lines and convert them to spherical or polar coordinates. Another approach is to use the dot product of the vectors to find the angle. Additionally, when finding the angle between a line and the vertical, it is important to clarify the origin and specify which line is being referenced.
CraigH
I have 3 points ##S##, ##E##, and ##W## each with ##x##, ##y##, and ##z## positions.

##S## is always at ##[1,1,1]##

##S## is connected to ##E##, and ##E## is connected to ##W## by a line.

I want to calculate the azimuth and polar angles between ##E## and the vertical, and the azimuth and polar angles between ##E## and ##W##, using the coordiantes I have for all of them. How would I do this?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
construct vectors for the lines, convert to spherical, polar coordinates.
note. E us a point, it cannot have an angle to anything.

Thanks for your reply :)
Simon Bridge said:
note. E us a point, it cannot have an angle to anything.
E is a point however it will have angles between itself and the vertical

No - a point cannot have angles between itself and anything else.
You can see this easily by drawing a point, and drawing a "vertical", but do not draw in an origin.
What is the angle between the point and the line you just drew? Doesn't make sense does it?

The vector pointing from the origin to E will have angles between itself and the vertical, as will any line passing through the origin and E. However, any line passing through E, any vector pointing from any point to E, will have an angle to the vertical, so you have to specify. Just saying "the angle of E" is too vague. We may be able to infer something from the context but, in maths at least, it is often a good idea to make implicit things explicit: it helps you cut through common confusions.

The way to tackle your problem is to construct the lines you want the angles between and use geometry.
One approach is the shift the axes so the z-axis lies along one line, and the origin is at the corner, then represent the point you are interested in with spherical coordinates. The azimuthal angle that results will also be the angle between the two lines.

If you have three points A B C and you want to find the angle ABC, then you can get that from the dot product of vector BA with vector BC. That may be easier for you.

Last edited:
Ah okay I see what you mean, in my case ##S## is the origin. So I am looking for the angle between the line ##S E## and the vertical. I'll edit the original post and clarify this.

Please don't edit the original post, it makes the resulting conversation into nonsense and makes it useless for helping others with the same problem as you.
You have supplied with two ways to find the angle between the line SE and the k unit vector.

1. How do I measure the angle of my arm?

The angle of your arm can be measured using a protractor or a goniometer. Place the center of the protractor or goniometer at the shoulder joint and align one side of the tool with the upper arm bone. Then, read the angle where the forearm bone intersects with the tool.

2. What is the reference point for measuring the angle of my arm?

The reference point for measuring the angle of your arm is the shoulder joint. This is where the upper arm bone connects to the shoulder blade.

3. How do I calculate the angle of my elbow?

The angle of your elbow can be calculated by measuring the angle between your upper arm and forearm bones. Use a protractor or goniometer to measure this angle, with the reference point being the center of your elbow joint.

4. Is there a specific formula for calculating arm angles?

There is no specific formula for calculating arm angles. The angle of your arm can be measured using a tool, as described above, or by using trigonometric functions if you have the length of each arm bone and the angle between them.

5. How do I use arm angle measurements in scientific research?

Arm angle measurements can be used in various scientific research fields, such as biomechanics and ergonomics. These measurements can help assess range of motion, muscle activity, and joint stability, among other things. They can also be used to identify any abnormalities or injuries in the arm.