Find cos(x) and sin(x) if angle x has these properties....

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of cos(z) and sin(z) for an angle in quadrant III with a terminal side parallel to the line 3x+4y=12. The speaker concludes that this scenario is impossible due to the fact that a line parallel to 3x+4y=12 and passing through the origin (0,0) would have a slope of -(3/4), which does not intersect with any points in quadrant III.
Sirmeris1
Find cos(z) and sin(z) if z is an angle in quadrant III (in standard position) and the terminal side of angle z is parallel to the line 3x+4y=12.

I just want to make sure I'm thinking about this correctly:

The definition of an angle in standard position is that the vertex is at (0,0) and the the x-axis is one end of the angle. Now, I'm thinking that the line with which the terminal side coincides MUST contain the point (0,0) because the terminal side of an angle must be connected to it's vertex and by definition the vertex of this angle is at (0,0). My problem lies with the fact that if the angle is in quadrant III (which if I remember correctly is the bottom left corner of the Cartesian plane) then the terminal side must also be in quadrant III and the line that contains that terminal side must be parallel to 3x+4y=12 and must contain the point (0,0). But this is impossible, because if a line has the point (0,0) that is parallel to 3x+4y=12 will have the slope -(3/4), from which we get that the line that contains the terminal side is just y=-(3/4)x, but this line doesn't contain any points in quadrant III (because when x is negative y is positive and thus in quadrant II). Therefore, angle z CANNOT have a terminal side in quadrant III parallel to the line 3x+4y=12 because there exists no parallel line to 3x+4y=12 that contains the point (0,0) that also contains points in quadrant III.

So I'm getting that this question is impossible. Is my reasoning flawed here? Am I missing something? Attached is my graph where the solid line is the given line and the line is the theoretical parallel line. Thank you in advance for any clarifications.

View attachment 7022

Attachments

• 20504163_1520778697985392_171892792_n.jpg
    20504163_1520778697985392_171892792_n.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 61
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB, Sirmeris! (Wave)

I agree with your reasoning, and your conclusion. (Yes)

1. What is the difference between cos(x) and sin(x)?

Cos(x) and sin(x) are both trigonometric functions that involve the measurement of angles in a right triangle. The main difference between them is that cos(x) represents the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, while sin(x) represents the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse.

2. How do you find cos(x) and sin(x) for a given angle x?

To find cos(x) and sin(x) for a given angle x, you will need to use a calculator or a trigonometric table. Simply enter the value of x in either function and the calculator will give you the corresponding value. If using a table, find the value closest to x and look up the corresponding values for cos(x) and sin(x).

3. What are the possible values of cos(x) and sin(x)?

Cos(x) and sin(x) can have any value between -1 and 1, inclusive. This means that the possible values of cos(x) and sin(x) can range from -1 to 1, including decimals and fractions.

4. Can cos(x) and sin(x) be negative?

Yes, both cos(x) and sin(x) can be negative. This occurs when the angle x is in the second or third quadrant of a unit circle, where both the x and y coordinates are negative.

5. How do you use cos(x) and sin(x) to solve trigonometric equations?

To solve trigonometric equations using cos(x) and sin(x), you will need to use algebraic manipulation and the inverse trigonometric functions. By substituting in the values of cos(x) and sin(x) and rearranging the equation, you can solve for the unknown angle x.