How to calculate the antiderivative of: [sqrt(t^4 + t^2 + 1)]/(t^2 + 1)

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding a solution for a problem involving calculus and the suggestion to use Wolfram Alpha or Mathematica. The speaker also mentions that the function in question does not have an antiderivative that can be expressed using elementary functions. The conversation ends with a request for the full problem.
cometalegas
Anybodys knows how to resolve the problem of the subject.
I am working in it for three hours. I am desperated.

I have tried all the subtitutions of "Calculus. Schaum. Ayres&Mendelson". Whithout suceeds.

Thank you.

Diego.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it's simply impossible to calculate it. Just try typing it into wolfram alpha, mathematica or whatever: http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp?expr=Sqrt[x^4+%2B+x^2+%2B+1]/(x^2+%2B+1)&random=false

See what you get? Three different elliptic functions, that are not elementary functions. Hence, this function doesn't have an antiderivative that could be written down using elementary functions only.

Where in your homework is it?
I mean, can we see the full problem?

1. What is the antiderivative of the given function?

The antiderivative of a function is the inverse operation of the derivative. It is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function. In this case, the antiderivative of the given function is sqrt(t^4 + t^2 + 1).

2. How do I calculate the antiderivative of a fraction?

To calculate the antiderivative of a fraction, you can use the power rule for integrals. This rule states that the antiderivative of x^n is (x^(n+1))/(n+1). In this case, you would apply the power rule to the numerator and denominator separately, then divide the resulting antiderivatives.

3. What is the process for solving this type of integral?

To solve this integral, you can use the substitution method. This involves substituting a variable for part of the expression inside the integral, then solving for that variable. In this case, you would substitute u = t^2 + 1 and solve for t to find the antiderivative.

4. Can I use a calculator to find the antiderivative?

Yes, most scientific and graphing calculators have built-in functions for finding antiderivatives. However, it is important to note that these calculators may not always provide the most simplified or accurate answer, so it is still important to understand the process and check your work.

5. How can I check the accuracy of my antiderivative?

One way to check the accuracy of your antiderivative is to take the derivative of your answer and see if it matches the original function. If they are equal, then you have found the correct antiderivative. You can also use online integral calculators to verify your answer or ask a teacher or tutor for assistance.