How to calculate the Bremsstrahlung Background?

In summary, the speaker thanks the forum for their assistance and asks for help calculating the Bremsstrahlungs background for TEM EDX spectras. They mention finding formulas with a 1/E dependency, but are specifically interested in the Oxygen peak. However, the speaker later states that the problem has been solved.
Nubski
Hi everybody,

first I like to thank you for this nice forum :smile:
I tried the search function and found no answer to my question, so here it is:
How can I calculate the Bremsstrahlungs background for TEM EDX spectras (Intensity vs. Energy)?
I found several formulas, for example the oldest Kramers/Small, but they all have
a 1/E dependecy, which of course go to ∞ approaching 0. But since I am interested in
the Oxygen peak, that doesn´t help much...
If anyone have an idea or can give me some directions (link to a paper maybe?)
I would really appreciate.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind, problem solved :smile:

1. How is the Bremsstrahlung background calculated?

The Bremsstrahlung background is calculated by using the formula: B = C * Z * (ln(183 * Z^(-1/3)) + 1.5). B represents the background, C is a constant, and Z is the atomic number of the target material.

2. What is the significance of the Bremsstrahlung background in radiation measurements?

The Bremsstrahlung background is an important factor to consider in radiation measurements as it is a form of radiation that can interfere with the accurate detection of other types of radiation. It is important to calculate and account for this background in order to obtain precise measurements of other types of radiation.

3. How does the target material affect the calculation of the Bremsstrahlung background?

The target material plays a significant role in the calculation of the Bremsstrahlung background as it determines the atomic number (Z) used in the formula. Different materials will have different atomic numbers, resulting in varying levels of background radiation.

4. Is there a way to minimize the impact of Bremsstrahlung background in radiation measurements?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate the Bremsstrahlung background, there are ways to minimize its impact in radiation measurements. This can include using shielding materials, reducing the thickness of the target material, and optimizing the measurement setup to reduce any potential interference.

5. Are there any limitations to using the formula to calculate the Bremsstrahlung background?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the formula to calculate the Bremsstrahlung background. It assumes that the target material is a single, uniform layer and does not take into account any potential variations in thickness or composition of the material. Additionally, the formula may not be accurate for very low or high atomic numbers, as it is based on an approximation.