How to calculate the capacity of a disk drive

In summary: GB. However, the definition of gigabyte can vary and may be 1,000,000,000 bytes or 1,073,741,824 bytes.
TanyaQ
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Good morning, I got a question like this-

"A hard drive has 6 platters, each platter records data on both sides. There are 3000 tracks of nine sectors each. Each sector stores 512 bytes of data. How many read/ write heads are there and what are the capacity of the drive(in Gigabytes)?"

I understand so far the read/ write heads= 2*6 =12
The capacity of the drive= 512*9*3000*12=165888000bytes

I understand to where they got this answers but its not finish as I need to get it to the gigabyte and this find the capacity of the disk. Can you please assist I don't understand ?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
TanyaQ said:
I need to get it to the gigabyte
You've GOT it to the gigabyte, given the information you were given.

Why would you need more than 6 significant digits anyway?

Why do you believe that the numbers given are not exact?

A gigabyte is 1,000,000,000 bytes. Does this help?

Likes TanyaQ and Delta2
There are two definitions for GigaByte, one is as @phyzguy says at post #3 and the other is equal to

##2^{30}=1,073,741,824## bytes.

Likes collinsmark
Delta2 said:
There are two definitions for GigaByte, one is as @phyzguy says at post #3 and the other is equal to

##2^{30}=1,073,741,824## bytes.
In recent years (starting at around 1998), in order to avoid confusion, new terms were created such as "gibibyte," as opposed to "gigabyte," where

1 gibibyte = 1 GiB = [itex] 2^{30} [/itex] bytes = 1,073,741,824 bytes

in contrast to

1 gigabyte = 1 GB = [itex] 10^9 [/itex] bytes = 1,000,000,000 bytes.

However, -- and this is important --, the "correct" answer may depend on how old your textbook is. This whole kibi, mebi, gibi, tebi, pebi, exbi, zebi, and yobi naming convention wasn't universally adopted by everybody.

For the longest time, "gigabyte" might have meant 1,073,741,824 bytes, or it might have meant 1,000,000,000 bytes, and which one was chosen by the hard-drive manufacturer was whichever one made the product look better.

So my advice to you, @TanyaQ, is whichever convention you use, be sure to back it up with your definition. (Or better yet, just answer in terms of both conventions [GB and GiB] to avoid confusion. :smile: )

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes jim mcnamara, berkeman, TanyaQ and 1 other person
Oh, and @TanyaQ,

Welcome to PF! :welcome:

Likes Delta2
collinsmark said:
In recent years (starting at around 1998), in order to avoid confusion, new terms were created such as "gibibyte," as opposed to "gigabyte," where

1 gibibyte = 1 GiB = [itex] 2^{30} [/itex] bytes = 1,073,741,824 bytes

in contrast to

1 gigabyte = 1 GB = [itex] 10^9 [/itex] bytes = 1,000,000,000 bytes.

However, -- and this is important --, the "correct" answer may depend on how old your textbook is. This whole kibi, mebi, gibi, tebi, pebi, exbi, zebi, and yobi naming convention wasn't universally adopted by everybody.

For the longest time, "gigabyte" might have meant 1,073,741,824 bytes, or it might have meant 1,000,000,000 bytes, and which one was chosen by the hard-drive manufacturer was whichever one made the product look better.

So my advice to you, @TanyaQ, is whichever convention you use, be sure to back it up with your definition. (Or better yet, just answer in terms of both conventions [GB and GiB] to avoid confusion. :smile: )
Thank you

Likes collinsmark
TanyaQ said:
Thank you
I never know all these. Now I do. Thank you very much

Likes Delta2
phyzguy said:
Sooooo much. Thank you

Likes Delta2
phyzguy said:

Yes

1. How do I calculate the capacity of a disk drive in bytes?

The capacity of a disk drive in bytes can be calculated by multiplying the number of sectors on the disk by the number of bytes per sector. This information can typically be found in the disk's specifications or by using a disk management tool.

2. What is the formula for calculating the capacity of a disk drive in gigabytes?

The formula for calculating the capacity of a disk drive in gigabytes is to divide the total number of bytes by 1,073,741,824 (the number of bytes in a gigabyte). This will give you the capacity in gigabytes.

3. Can I calculate the capacity of a disk drive without knowing the number of sectors?

Yes, you can calculate the capacity of a disk drive without knowing the number of sectors by using a disk management tool or by checking the disk's properties. The capacity will be displayed in bytes, kilobytes, megabytes, and gigabytes.

4. How do I convert the capacity of a disk drive from bytes to terabytes?

To convert the capacity of a disk drive from bytes to terabytes, divide the total number of bytes by 1,099,511,627,776 (the number of bytes in a terabyte). This will give you the capacity in terabytes.

5. Is the capacity of a disk drive the same as its total storage space?

Yes, the capacity of a disk drive is the same as its total storage space. It refers to the amount of data that can be stored on the disk drive. However, the actual usable storage space may be slightly less due to formatting and other system files.