How do the motors for read-write heads in HDs work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the dissection of hard disk drives to salvage "linear" motors. These motors have a simple design with high energy permanent magnets and a circular sector single coil winding loop. When current is applied to the winding, a force is produced due to the ##I\times B## concept. However, there is a concern about the uniformity of the magnetic field in the gap and the possibility of a poor design. This is resolved when it is discovered that the sector magnets flip polarity across the gap.
Paul Colby
Insights Author
Gold Member
I've dissected several hard disk drives to scavenge the "linear" motors which move the read-write heads across the disk platens. At first glance these look simple enough. There is a pair of high energy permanent magnets in a yoke which provide a circular sector shaped high magnetic field in a gap ~1/8" wide. The yoke provides a good magnetic circuit with low leakage. The motor armature consists of a circular sector single coil winding loop that is held in the gap by a bearing such that it is free to rotate. When a current is applied to the winding a force is developed (as expected) from the ##I\times B##. Now, from the magnet/yoke design I would expect a uniform ##B##-field in the gap. If this is the case then ##I\times B## should sum to zero (provided the field is uniform). If it's not uniform then this is a really poor looking design. Obviously I'm missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, I am missing something. The sector magnets flip polarity across the gap. Split one yoke and tested with a bar magnet. Order to my world is restored.

1. How do the motors in hard drive read-write heads work?

The motors in hard drive read-write heads work by converting electrical signals from the computer into mechanical motion. This motion allows the read-write head to move across the surface of the hard drive and read or write data onto the platters.

2. What type of motor is used in hard drive read-write heads?

The most common type of motor used in hard drive read-write heads is a voice coil motor. This type of motor uses a coil of wire and a magnet to create motion, similar to how a speaker works.

3. How does the motor control the movement of the read-write head?

The motor controls the movement of the read-write head through a system of magnets and coils. When an electrical signal is sent to the motor, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the magnets and causes the head to move across the surface of the hard drive.

4. Is the motor constantly running while the hard drive is in use?

No, the motor in the read-write head only runs when the hard drive is actively reading or writing data. When the hard drive is not in use, the motor is turned off to conserve energy and reduce wear on the components.

5. Can the motor in the read-write head be replaced if it fails?

Yes, the motor in the read-write head can be replaced if it fails. However, this is a complex process and should only be done by a trained professional. It is often more cost-effective to replace the entire hard drive rather than just the motor.