How to calculate the current of a stream of electrons

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
ravsterphysics
Messages
57
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



The planet Jupiter has a moon Io. Volcanic activity on Io releases clouds of electrons which travel at high speeds towards Jupiter.

During a 15 s time period, 2.6 × 10^26 electrons reach Jupiter from Io.

Calculate the current.

Homework Equations



I know current I = Q/t and that an electron has charge 1.6 x 10^-19 but I don't know how to relate this to the question. Can someone explain this to me please.

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
ravsterphysics said:
I know current I = Q/t and that an electron has charge 1.6 x 10^-19 **coulomb**
Yes.
So how much charge traveled to Jupiter from Io in how much time?
 
cnh1995 said:
Yes.
So how much charge traveled to Jupiter from Io in how much time?

doh! so we have 2.6 electrons and each electron has charge of 1.6 coulombs, so the current is: charge (electrons x charge) divided by time. Got it.

Thanks!