How to calculate the inductance of a center tapped solenoid ?

In summary, the ZVS power supply requires a center tapped primary coil in order to drive the transformer. The output frequency is determined by the inductance of the primary winding and capacitance used in the circuit. The transformer is a flyback type with a secondary winding already present. The A_l value is needed to calculate inductance based on the number of turns. The A_I value refers to the core permeability and can be found in the datasheet for the core. The design of the inductor is discussed in the provided link. When using a center tapped inductor, only one of the primary coils is energized at a time.
Indula
I'm trying to drive a transformer using a ZVS power supply. The primary coil that we use here has to be wound center tapped. The output frequency depends on the inductance of the primary winding and capacitance used in the circuit.
The circuit of a ZVS power supply is as follows,
FSW2MICGNBEVVKF.LARGE.jpg

The transformer where the primary will be wound is as follows. It's a flyback transformer where the secondary is present and primary can be wound as we need.
s-l500.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have the A_l (A-sub-l) value for that core?

What's A_I value means ? Is it the core permeability value ?

Indula said:
What's A_I value means ? Is it the core permeability value ?
It is usually given for cores so that you can compute the inductance based on the number of turns. Look at the datasheet for your core, for example.

This is a pretty good introduction to inductor design, and it includes a discussion of A_L:

https://www.ieee.li/pdf/viewgraphs/fundamentals_magnetics_design.pdf

1575567842004.png

Okay. Is there any thing that I need to take into account since it's a center tapped inductor ? Unlike 2 terminal inductors this one has 3 terminals due to center tap.

But only one of the two primary coils is energized at any given time, right?

Likes zoki85

1. How do I calculate the inductance of a center tapped solenoid?

The inductance of a center tapped solenoid can be calculated using the formula L = (μ * N^2 * A)/l, where μ is the permeability of the core material, N is the number of turns in the solenoid, A is the cross-sectional area of the solenoid, and l is the length of the solenoid.

2. What is the unit of measurement for inductance?

The unit of measurement for inductance is the Henry (H).

3. Can I calculate the inductance of a center tapped solenoid without knowing the number of turns?

No, the number of turns is a crucial factor in calculating the inductance of a center tapped solenoid. Without this information, the inductance cannot be accurately determined.

4. How does the core material affect the inductance of a center tapped solenoid?

The core material plays a significant role in determining the inductance of a center tapped solenoid. Materials with higher permeability will result in a higher inductance, while materials with lower permeability will result in a lower inductance.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the inductance of a center tapped solenoid?

Yes, other factors such as the shape and size of the solenoid, the spacing between the turns, and the presence of any nearby conductive materials can also impact the inductance of a center tapped solenoid.