How to Calculate the Values of Other Trigonometric Functions Using Given Values?

In summary, trigonometric functions are mathematical functions used in geometry and trigonometry to solve problems involving right triangles. The six basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant, which are defined as ratios of the sides of a right triangle. These functions are widely used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to calculate distances and angles. They are also used in navigation and mapping. The unit circle, a circle with a radius of 1 unit, is used to visualize the values of trigonometric functions for any angle. The x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle corresponds to the cosine value, while the y-coordinate corresponds to the sine value. The difference
paulmdrdo1
find the values of other five trig functions

$\csc\theta=-2\,and\, \cot\theta>0$

my solution

$x=-2$
$y=-1$

$r=\sqrt{5}$

$\displaystyle \sin\theta=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}$

$\displaystyle\cos\theta=-\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}$

$\displaystyle\cot\theta=2$

$\displaystyle\tan\theta=\frac{1}{2}$

$\displaystyle\sec\theta=-\frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}$

are they correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
it's not correct! use Pythagorean Identity involving sin and cos to find x.

Last edited:
I may have misunderstood your question, but your restrictions stated that $$\csc\theta=-2$$ whereas the value of your $\sin\theta$ was $-\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}$, which most certainly does not satisfy $$\sin(x)=\frac{1}{\csc(x)}$$

*Edit* LATEBLOOMER beat me to it.

I just want to add the following:

We are told \(\displaystyle \csc(\theta)<0\) and \(\displaystyle \cot(\theta)>0\), and so we ask ourselves in which quadrant are both of these true. The cosecant function is negative in quadrants 3 and 4, while the cotangent function is positive in quadrants 1 and 3, so we now know $\theta$ must be in quadrant 3, i.e:

\(\displaystyle \pi<\theta<\frac{3\pi}{2}\)

Now, one way we could proceed is to simply solve for $\theta$ directly, and then evaluate the other 5 functions at that angle, or as suggested above, we may employ identities and definitions to get the other functions. It is usually the second of these methods that is preferred, because we won't always be able to easily solve for the angle $\theta$, and so this second method is a more general way to proceed.

If I were to solve this problem using this method, I would first look at:

\(\displaystyle \sin(\theta)=\frac{1}{\csc(\theta)}=?\)

Next, I would use:

\(\displaystyle \cos(\theta)=-\sqrt{1-\sin^2(\theta)}=?\)

Why do we take the negative root here?

Next, we may finish up with definitions:

\(\displaystyle \sec(\theta)=\frac{1}{\cos(\theta)}=?\)

\(\displaystyle \tan(\theta)=\frac{\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}=?\)

\(\displaystyle \cot(\theta)=\frac{1}{\tan(\theta)}=?\)

There are of course other Pythagorean identities that could be used, so my outline above is just one such way to go.

Yes, your calculations are correct. However, please note that the value of $\cot\theta$ should be negative since it is given that $\cot\theta>0$ and $\cot\theta=\frac{\cos\theta}{\sin\theta}$. Therefore, the correct value for $\cot\theta$ would be $-2$.

Related to How to Calculate the Values of Other Trigonometric Functions Using Given Values?

What are trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that relate the angles of a triangle to the lengths of its sides. They are commonly used in geometry and trigonometry to solve problems involving right triangles.

What are the six basic trigonometric functions?

The six basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant. These functions are defined as ratios of the lengths of the sides of a right triangle.

How are trigonometric functions used in real life?

Trigonometric functions are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to calculate distances, angles, and heights. They are also used in navigation and mapping to determine locations and distances between points.

What is the unit circle and how is it related to trigonometric functions?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit that is centered at the origin of a Cartesian coordinate system. It is used to visualize the values of trigonometric functions for any angle. The x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle corresponds to the cosine value, while the y-coordinate corresponds to the sine value.

What is the difference between sine and cosine functions?

Sine and cosine are two of the most commonly used trigonometric functions. The sine function gives the ratio of the length of the side opposite an angle to the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle. The cosine function gives the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse. In other words, the sine function represents the vertical component of a triangle, while the cosine function represents the horizontal component.