How to Calculate Total Mass of a Person with Additional Gear?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter MegaMan64
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
MegaMan64
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
What I have now if the mass of a human found by this
m = density x velocity
which is 189.16lb or 85.79 kg for about 175lb person.
density = 1010 kg/m3
volume = 3ft^3
but then I thought that this guy will have about 200 extra lbs of wight and a parachute along with that. How should I go about putting that into the mass?
The bag would be about 2ft * 2ft *1ft = 4ft^3 so the
mass of the pack would be about 200lb roughly?
and the parachute would be about 50lb too.
Should I just add the human mass to the other two masses for a total mass? Or am i missing something?
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi MegaMan64! Welcome to PF! :wink:
MegaMan64 said:
Should I just add the human mass to the other two masses for a total mass?

Yes, if they all have the same velocity, it's easier and quicker to treat them as a single mass. :smile:
 
What I have now if the mass of a human found by this
m = density x velocity

Whaaaaaaa??

That doesn't lead to the units on the following line in your post...