How to calculte Kinetic Energy of Scissor Lift system

In summary, the author is trying to find out the range of the best tilt angle for a scissor lift. He does this by calculating the kinetic energy and potential energy of the system. The research paper says that tip-over will happen only when the kinetic energy is less than the potential energy after impact. However, the author finds out that the kinetic energy is much lower than the potential energy. This causes him to question the statement from the research paper. He post a link to the whole paper in case someone wants to read it.
Ycean
Hi, here i need to calculate the tilt angle of the scissor lift. I had done some reviews for designing a scissor lifter, some source state that, tip-over will happen only when the kinetic energy of the system is less than the Potential energy after impact.
Hence, i was trying to use this relation to find out the range of the best angle. But, i don't know how to calculate the Kinetic Energy of the whole system. Can anyone give me some idea to solve it?Thankyou in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ycean said:
some source state that, tip-over will happen only when the kinetic energy of the system is less than the Potential energy after impact.
Which source? That sounds strange.

Do you have a sketch, including where you expect an impact?

If not mistaken it is from a journal of the research paper, but inside that paper din't describe much about why the kinetic energy lesser than potential energy of the system will cause the tip-over to happen. And i just only jot down the factors that might leading the tip over to happen, during i did my literature review.
Actually what i concern now is how to calculate the tilt-angle. Because i need it for my scissor structure design. Can anyone kindly give me some advises. ><"".Thanks!

Have you got a link to a textbook problem dealing with what you are talking about?

mfb said:
Which source? That sounds strange.

Do you have a sketch, including where you expect an impact?

Here was the paper i got. In the Chapter 2,the author did mention about the potential energy after impact greater than Kinetic energy will lead the tip-over to happen.

NascentOxygen said:
Have you got a link to a textbook problem dealing with what you are talking about?

I did try to look at all my mechanical textbook for dynamic or static analysis. And what i found is, scissor lifter having only one degree of freedom, mean this structure having only vertical motion. Therefore, i try to calculate the velocity of the lifter by differentiate the vertical displacement of the center of mass of the whole structure. After comparing both potential and kinetic energy, there was a huge differ. The kinetic energy has a much lower value than the potential energy value. It seem something is wrong.

Wondering about the statement from the research paper.

Attachments

• upload_2015-4-30_19-9-18.png
    upload_2015-4-30_19-9-18.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 694
Can you post a link to the whole paper?

... i try to calculate the velocity of the lifter by differentiate the vertical displacement..

When they say "KE prior to impact" I took that to mean 0.5mv^2 where v is the horizontal velocity. Not sure why you are looking at the vertical velocity.[/quote][/quote]

1. How is kinetic energy calculated for a scissor lift system?

Kinetic energy is calculated by using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the scissor lift system and v is the velocity at which it is moving.

2. What units is kinetic energy measured in?

Kinetic energy is typically measured in joules (J), but it can also be measured in other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) or kilogram-meters squared per second squared (kg-m^2/s^2).

3. How does the height of the scissor lift affect its kinetic energy?

The height of the scissor lift does not directly affect its kinetic energy. However, the potential energy of the scissor lift system at a certain height can be converted into kinetic energy as it moves downward.

4. Does the weight of the load on the scissor lift impact its kinetic energy?

Yes, the weight of the load on the scissor lift will impact its kinetic energy. The heavier the load, the more kinetic energy it will have when moving at the same velocity.

5. Can the kinetic energy of a scissor lift system be increased or decreased?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a scissor lift system can be increased or decreased by changing its mass or velocity. Increasing the mass or velocity will increase its kinetic energy, while decreasing the mass or velocity will decrease its kinetic energy.