1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to check dy/dx in my ti84?

1. Oct 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find dy/dx: y=4sinx-5cosx+x

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    y=4sinx-5cosx+x

answer = dy/dx=4cosx+5sinx+1

I know this may look simple, but i want to learn how to check my answers in my ti84 to be sure that I'm correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2009 #2
    The TI-84 can't take derivatives. Only the TI-89 or Voyage 200 calculators can do that, since they're the only ones that carry TI's computer algebra software. Casio and HP also make calculators that can do this.

4. Oct 2, 2009 #3
  5. Oct 2, 2009 #4
    Those will be highly unreliable and will only handle special cases. The TI-84 is only able to numerically differentiate a function. To my knowledge, it can only graph some derivatives and spit out the value of the derivative at a specific point.

I recommend using Wolfram Alpha. For example, to take the derivative of the function you gave, you would have the following http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=d/dx+(4*sin(x)-5*cos(x)+x)".

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  6. Oct 2, 2009 #5
    Thanks for linking me to that site! I can use it to help me study :surprised

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook