Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to combine two lines in one in mechanical sketches

1. May 25, 2017 #1
    Would somebody explain how to combine two lines into one? I think this is a CAD question. It's from Ansys's DesignModeler, Geometry Engine.

I would like to make lines 1 which is at the right hand side like 2 which is left hand side of the L-shape object.

In that program there are options like in AutoCAD.

line problem.png

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

When you say "combine", do you mean "group" like in Visio? Does AutoCAD have a "group" function?

4. May 25, 2017 #3
    I cannot explain it properly. I mean they are two lines added end to end but I want to make them one line. How can I get rid of that thing to which arrow is pointing?

Is it O.K now?

Thank you.

5. May 26, 2017 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unselect the line?

6. May 26, 2017 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh I see...

Probably easier just to delete them and replace with one new line.

7. May 26, 2017 #6

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

+1

CAD systems do normally have a comprehensive range of tools for joining and splitting lines . Very useful sometimes but not really needed for this simple task .

eg

FEA systems usually have specific tools for adding , deleting and moving nodes .

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  8. May 26, 2017 #7
    Yes, it might not need but for exploring the interface and operation, I would like to learn it.

But that command or constraint, I do not know how I can call, probably have a common symbol or or name. Would you explain it?

Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted