How to Convert this Derivative?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivative of a function with respect to ##\log \left(r\right)## and the correct method to find the derivative with respect to ##r## using the chain rule. The theorem for the chain rule for derivatives is also mentioned.
ecastro
I have a derivative of a function with respect to ##\log \left(r\right)##:

\begin{equation*}
\frac{dN\left(r\right)}{d \log\left(r\right)} = \frac{N}{\sqrt{2\pi} \log\left(\sigma\right)} \exp\left\{-\frac{\left[\log \left(r\right) - \log\left(r_M\right)\right]^2}{2 \left[\log\left(\sigma\right)\right]^2}\right\}
\end{equation*}

I need to know the derivative of this function with respect to ##r##, that is ##\frac{dN\left(r\right)}{dr}##, how shall I do this? I was told that I just need to multiply the function with the derivative of the logarithm, that is

\begin{equation*}
\frac{dN\left(r\right)}{dr} = \frac{dN\left(r\right)}{d \log\left(r\right)} \cdot \frac{d \log\left(r\right)}{dr}
\end{equation*}

Is this correct? Even though ##N\left(r\right)## is a function of ##\log\left(r\right)##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes this is correct, it is a well known theorem for the derivative of the composition of two functions (in your case the two functions are N(y) and y(r)=logr)), known as chain rule for derivatives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_rule

Yes, its correct, it is the chain rule in one variable.

Alright. Thank you for your help!

Likes Ssnow

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is essentially the slope of a curve at a given point.

2. How do you convert a derivative to its original function?

To convert a derivative to its original function, you need to use an anti-derivative or integral. This process is known as integration, and it involves finding the original function that would result in the given derivative.

3. What is the purpose of converting a derivative?

Converting a derivative to its original function can be useful in solving real-world problems involving rates of change, such as finding the velocity of an object or the growth rate of a population.

4. What are some common methods for converting a derivative?

Some common methods for converting a derivative include using basic integration rules, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. Other methods include using substitution or integration by parts.

5. Can all derivatives be converted to their original functions?

Not all derivatives can be converted to their original functions. Some derivatives are known as "pathological functions," which do not have a corresponding original function. Additionally, some derivatives may require more advanced mathematical techniques, such as differential equations, to be converted.