How to convince my parents to be physicist

• Thread starter dankshu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary, the conversation revolves around a student in a PharmD program in South Carolina who wants to become a physicist, but their parents are against it due to concerns about job opportunities and the state of the economy. The student is considering switching to a PhD in pharmokinetics or getting a masters in IT, but their parents are also against those options. The student is seeking advice on how to convince their parents that physics or engineering could be lucrative career paths. They also mention concerns about their parents controlling their future and wanting to have their own life.
dankshu
So to keep this short, I'm a student at the pharm D program in south carolina. I took some undergrad courses in analysis and physics and did very well in them and I want to become a physicist now. However, my parents are convinced (and they're somewhat right) that physicists don't get jobs, and will probably work as low paying computer programmers. Plus, given the state of the economy, they refuse to allow me to conduct any research.

So I suppose I can get a) a phd focusing on pharmokinetics and drug delivery system modeling (that is somewhat relevant to math modeling, right?), which really isn't my interest b) due to my lack of math/physics degree, get a masters at some low ranked IT (but accredible) school nearby, applying with my few math classes I took at prepharm or c) convince my parents that physics isn't that bad of a route, although it is very risky and low paying.

I have some statistics I found on the web, but I don't think they'll buy into that. So, if anyone was in the same situation I was, any advice? Or for anyone else who regrets their career choice- how else would you have done it?

Also, my parents downright refuse for me to become an engineer since they think engineer = physicist. And outsourcing. And again, the thing with computer programming. Although I think I'd rather become a high school teacher... which they detest too. Finally, I don't want to feel like a burden on their money. They're telling me to suck it up because life is tough and jobs aren't supposed to be enjoyable; it's better to have money and raise a family/get a house/etc.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
how far are you in PharmD?

PharmD is very expensive. If you're almost done, it's not worth it to throw it away. It's even worse if its your parents money.

What was your undergrad degree?

Tell your parents that physicists work in finance and are drowning in money. Also point out the upward supply of PharmDs and how a PharmD would be worthless at this rate. Engineers are also quite good.

I've heard that pharmacists are not allowed to use the restroom at work so it will be 8-12 hours of no bathroom, is that true?

chill_factor said:
how far are you in PharmD?

PharmD is very expensive. If you're almost done, it's not worth it to throw it away. It's even worse if its your parents money.

What was your undergrad degree?

Tell your parents that physicists work in finance and are drowning in money. Also point out the upward supply of PharmDs and how a PharmD would be worthless at this rate. Engineers are also quite good.

I've heard that pharmacists are not allowed to use the restroom at work so it will be 8-12 hours of no bathroom, is that true?

I'm in my first year of pharmacy, and my undergrad was biology, which I managed to complete in 3 years (I took organic chemistry in high school too). I'm interested in the finance aspect too, but their minds are set on pharmacy because they think it's what 'ties me' to them, because they chose the profession for me and having me throw pharmacy away is like, to them, betraying them. I don't think they understand that I actually have interests and that I'm not out to get them.

Also, they wanted me to go into medicine too...

Don't know about the bathroom part.

There are many areas of physics that overlap with engineering. You might even look at bioengineering. Do you think it would be easier to convince your parents that engineering is a lucrative field?

You might not be able to convince your parents of anything. Their ignorance about careers in science is remediable, but you need to be prepared that correcting their false paradigms about engineers/physicists might not change their stance about your education.

You need to make a decision about whether or not you want to continue letting your parents control your future. I'd rather get a job and pay for my own education than spend years of my life obtaining a degree in a field for which I have no interest.

It is very important to be respectful when you talk to them. You might not agree with their position, but they are still your parents and I'm sure they have a sincere interest in your well-being.

Edit: Lisab offers a solid approach. Check out the BLS.gov website: http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes172031.htm

Those aren't surgeons' salaries, but I'm sure most would be able to live quite comfortably on any of the figures on that page. It would be hard for them to argue with numbers (respectfully :smile:) shown to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
There are many areas of physics that overlap with engineering. You might even look at bioengineering. Do you think it would be easier to convince your parents that engineering is a lucrative field?

I second this suggestion. Often the only difference between doing physics and engineering is your job title and engineering is often regarded as a more lucrative career.

dankshu said:
I'm in my first year of pharmacy, and my undergrad was biology, which I managed to complete in 3 years (I took organic chemistry in high school too). I'm interested in the finance aspect too, but their minds are set on pharmacy because they think it's what 'ties me' to them, because they chose the profession for me and having me throw pharmacy away is like, to them, betraying them. I don't think they understand that I actually have interests and that I'm not out to get them.

Also, they wanted me to go into medicine too...

Don't know about the bathroom part.

If that's the reason and you're year 1, ditch pharm school if you have the courage. I was faced with a similar decision, of whether to complete my biochem degree or switch to another major, and I decided to just switch, even though my parents "picked" the biochem degree for me. Sometimes you have to just clamp down and say, enough is enough, I am an adult.

The unfortunate part is, with a biology degree you may have not learned too much about physics or engineering. If you want to use some previous knowledge, chemical or materials engineering is probably the closest. Otherwise, other types of engineering (especially mechanical) will never use any knowledge you have.

Thanks for the replies. So does anyone know if I can get into a chemical engineering grad program using just a pharmD? I think I might have a shot with some drug delivery systems modeling... but I will have no experience with computers, due to being a pharmacist.

There's a grad program at my school for pharmaceutical engineering that's combined with chemical engineering. It's not really physics, but you'd probably enjoy it more than pure pharmacy. Also, since you're already in pharmacy school and everything, you should try some research. Perhaps you could do pharmaceutical research instead of stand behind the counter at Walgreens.

You shouldn't let your parents control your life, but I see that it is tough to make the both of you happy.

Regarding your question in the last post, I believe it is possible to get into a chemE grad school with a biology major. You may need to look at individual college's specifications, though.

Okay, so I talked this over with my parents, and they said they'd allow me to get a masters only if I complete the pharmD (by then I'll be able to support myself and don't need their money). So what I'm planning to do is to find research related to math/pharmaceuticals in my university and try to apply to grad school later. I don't have a degree in math; however, I do have a minor.

The MAIN problem is that the only schools I can apply to after college will be around a certain area (for external reasons I won't mention). The schools there are very hard to get into, some are top 30, and some are top 20. Hell, I don't know if after 4 years they'd still accept me. I can take the math GRE, but I'm not sure how else to demonstrate my abilities... USC does have a decent math program though, but I have no clue how they'd let a pharmacy major do research.

1. How can I show my passion for physics to my parents?

One way to show your passion for physics to your parents is by discussing your interest in the subject with them. Share with them what excites you about physics and how you see yourself pursuing it in the future. You can also show them any projects or experiments you have done related to physics or take them to a science museum or exhibition to demonstrate your enthusiasm for the subject.

2. My parents think physics is a difficult and impractical career choice. How can I change their perspective?

It is natural for parents to want their children to pursue a stable and secure career. However, it is important to communicate to them that physics is a versatile field with a wide range of career opportunities. You can emphasize the practical applications of physics in various industries, such as engineering, medicine, and technology. You can also share with them the success stories of well-known physicists and the impact their work has had on the world.

3. My parents are concerned about the job prospects in the field of physics. How can I address their concerns?

While it is true that the job market in physics is competitive, there is a high demand for skilled and knowledgeable physicists in various industries. You can assure your parents that with a degree in physics, you will have a strong foundation in analytical thinking, problem-solving, and critical reasoning, which are valuable skills in any career. You can also discuss your plans for internships, research opportunities, and networking to increase your chances of finding employment after graduation.

4. How can I convince my parents that studying physics will not hinder my academic performance in other subjects?

Many parents worry that focusing on one subject, such as physics, may negatively impact their child's performance in other areas. However, studying physics can actually improve your academic performance in other subjects. Physics involves concepts from math, chemistry, and biology, which can help you develop a deeper understanding of these subjects. Additionally, the critical thinking skills you acquire in physics can be applied to other areas of study.

5. My parents are concerned about the cost of pursuing a degree in physics. How can I address this concern?

It is understandable for parents to be concerned about the financial aspect of pursuing a degree in physics. However, there are various scholarships and financial aid options available specifically for students studying physics. You can also discuss your plans for part-time jobs, research grants, and other opportunities to help cover the cost of your education. Lastly, you can assure your parents that investing in your education in a field you are passionate about will be worth it in the long run.