How to correctly format proofs?

In summary, because the student has tried to use the internet to help them with their homework and found that all the information is confusing, they are having trouble completing the proofs correctly.
mharten1

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm taking a mathematical proofs class and I'm having trouble formatting my proofs correctly. We haven't done any proofs in class yet, but some simple proofs are due in this week's homework assignment. I've tried using the internet to help me, but all the hits that I get are very confusing.

Homework Equations

Suppose:
(1) A v (B ^ C)
(2) B → D
(3) C → E
(4) D ^ E → A v C
(5) ~A (~ is the not symbol, I don't know how to type it and I don't see it on the quick symbols)

Then C is true.

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems like a really easy proof. Correct me if I'm wrong, but because you know that A is not true, (B ^ C) must be true. Thus, we have already proven that C is true. If this is the correct way to prove this, can someone please help me format it into a formal proof? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mharten1 said:

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm taking a mathematical proofs class and I'm having trouble formatting my proofs correctly. We haven't done any proofs in class yet, but some simple proofs are due in this week's homework assignment. I've tried using the internet to help me, but all the hits that I get are very confusing.

Homework Equations

Suppose:
(1) A v (B ^ C)
(2) B → D
(3) C → E
(4) D ^ E → A v C
(5) ~A (~ is the not symbol, I don't know how to type it and I don't see it on the quick symbols)

Then C is true.

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems like a really easy proof. Correct me if I'm wrong, but because you know that A is not true, (B ^ C) must be true. Thus, we have already proven that C is true.
And that B must be true.

So at this point you have A is false, B is true, and C is true. Now use the other given statements to arrive at the conclusion.

BTW, ~ is perfectly fine for the negation operator.
mharten1 said:
If this is the correct way to prove this, can someone please help me format it into a formal proof? Thanks.

For a formal proof, you should justify each statement that you make. For instance, when you start off by saying that A is false, the justification is statement 5 of the hypotheses (the statements that are given, and that you can assume to be true).

Mark44 said:
And that B must be true.

So at this point you have A is false, B is true, and C is true. Now use the other given statements to arrive at the conclusion.

BTW, ~ is perfectly fine for the negation operator.

For a formal proof, you should justify each statement that you make. For instance, when you start off by saying that A is false, the justification is statement 5 of the hypotheses (the statements that are given, and that you can assume to be true).

Thanks for your response. Why is it necessary to keep going, haven't I already proved C to be true? Nevertheless, here's what I would do next.

Because B is true, it follows from statement 2 that D is also true.
Because C is true, it follows from statement 3 that E is also true.

Then, because D and E are true, from statement 4 we get A v C. Because we know from statement 5 that A is false, C must be true.

But wasn't this redundant, because I already knew C was true?

The only statements that are important in the proof are 1 and 5, with 2, 3, and 4, seeming to me to be red herrings, so you really don't need to continue.

However, it seems to me that you skipped some steps, one of which I already pointed out; namely, that B ^ C being true implies that both B and C must be true. From that you can conclude that C is true.

1. What is the purpose of formatting proofs correctly?

The purpose of formatting proofs correctly is to present a logical and organized argument in a way that is easy for others to follow and understand. It also helps to avoid errors or misunderstandings in the reasoning process.

2. What are the basic elements of a proof?

The basic elements of a proof include a statement of the problem, a list of given information, a series of logical steps, and a conclusion that follows from those steps.

3. How should I structure my proof?

A proof should be structured in a clear and concise manner, with each step clearly labeled and justified. It is recommended to start with the given information and work towards the conclusion, using logical reasoning and mathematical principles along the way.

4. Are there any specific formatting guidelines for proofs?

Yes, there are certain formatting guidelines that are commonly followed for proofs. These include using proper notation and symbols, clearly labeling each step, and organizing the proof in a logical and coherent manner.

5. Can I use diagrams or visual aids in my proof?

Yes, diagrams or visual aids can be useful in helping to illustrate certain concepts in a proof. However, it is important to still provide a clear and written explanation for each step, as visual aids alone may not be enough to fully support your argument.