How to create bootable CD for windows 2000

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, the conversation discusses creating a bootable CD using Nero. The process involves integrating a service pack into the original files, changing the boot sequence in BIOS, and transferring the contents of a floppy boot disk to the CD using burn software. Some people prefer to have the option of booting into a plain DOS prompt for old games or applications. Other helpful links for creating bootable CDs are also mentioned.
Saint
I have a CDRW writer, how to do it ?
So that i can boot into my PC at DOS prompt.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Nero can create bootable CD's, don't ask me how to do it though cause I have never tried. :smile:

Now would be a good time to...

..integrate a service pack into your original files prior to making the bootable CD;

http://www.duspinnst.com/bootcd.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
after doing that you may also have to change the boot sequence in bios so that it reads the cd drive first.

Seems like if you did this, then you could simply transfer the contents of a floppy boot disk to the cd-r.

You know, using Nero, or probably most any burn software, with your floppy boot disk in the A: drive (or whichever your's is), simply drag (select all and hold the left button down) the entire contents of the boot disk and drop it on the CD-r pane.

Theres probably dozens of methods, here is a good site for ya:

http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#whatis

Originally posted by Saint
I have a CDRW writer, how to do it ?
So that i can boot into my PC at DOS prompt.

My question is why you want to do this, are you having problems bringing up your windows? if so then you need a boot disk so try bootdisk to find your boot app then to fix your problem try reinstalling windows and run a complete virus scan to doulbe check. You might have to do a total instal vs a clean one.
Increase the peace!
Dx :wink:

Some people like to be able to boot up to a plain ole dos prompt believe it or not.

Perhaps to play old dos games or apps?

Originally posted by megashawn
Some people like to be able to boot up to a plain ole dos prompt believe it or not.

Perhaps to play old dos games or apps?
Perhaps so but you don't need a boot disk to do that.

got to ->programs -> accesories ->cprompt

Dx :wink:

but when you choose that route, your not running true dos, but actually an emulation.

More memory intense games could suffer a performance hit running in windows mode. Shouldn't be an issue with new pc's, but a computer running winXP with minimal ram emulating a dos prompt to play old wolf3d would definately suffer.

Hey, who knows. DOS is handy to keep around, and some ppl are just ole school.

For example, I prefer an old fdisk program to any modern partition software. Don't know why really, I just do. Old habits.

Nothing wrong with that!:wink:

1. How do I create a bootable CD for Windows 2000?

To create a bootable CD for Windows 2000, you will need a blank CD-R or CD-RW and a CD burning software. You can use the built-in CD burning software in Windows or a third-party software such as Nero or Roxio. Follow the instructions provided by the software to burn the Windows 2000 ISO file onto the CD.

2. Can I create a bootable CD for Windows 2000 on a Mac?

Yes, you can create a bootable CD for Windows 2000 on a Mac using a virtual machine or a software called Boot Camp. With a virtual machine, you can install a Windows operating system on your Mac and use the CD burning software in that virtual machine to create the bootable CD. With Boot Camp, you can partition your hard drive and install Windows on a separate partition, allowing you to use the built-in CD burning software in Windows to create the bootable CD.

3. Do I need a product key to create a bootable CD for Windows 2000?

No, you do not need a product key to create a bootable CD for Windows 2000. However, you will need a valid product key to install and activate Windows 2000 after booting from the CD.

4. Can I use a USB drive to create a bootable CD for Windows 2000?

No, you cannot use a USB drive to create a bootable CD for Windows 2000. CD burning software typically does not support burning ISO files onto a USB drive. However, you can use a USB drive to create a bootable Windows 2000 installation by using a software like Rufus.

5. Is it possible to create a bootable CD for Windows 2000 from a downloaded ISO file?

Yes, you can create a bootable CD for Windows 2000 from a downloaded ISO file. Make sure the ISO file is a valid and complete Windows 2000 installation file. Then, use a CD burning software to burn the ISO file onto a blank CD-R or CD-RW.